Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy Wagon steering vibration at 70mph?

There is a bad vibration coming thru the wheel at highway speeds, feels like its definitely coming from the front. I changed the tires and had them all rebalanced etc.

The dust boots on the steering arms were torn and the inner tie-rods had play so I just changed them and had it re-aligned

I can feel the difference in the steering now but the vibration persists...

scratching my head a bit because the outer tie-rods / ball joints look ok

If I get the car to 70mph and shift it to neutral the vibration remains so it doesn't seem like its motor mounts, they look ok

Sway bar links. At high speeds they will cause vibration when they are worn out.

I disconnected the left side and went for a drive - same symptoms

I noticed while the wheel was off the ground if I grab the tire 9-3 and move it back and forth there is a bit of movement in and out of the rack

when it moves I can see the steering wheel moving a bit - is this normal?

I am thinking its got to be either the rack or a wheel bearing

So no one starts with the simple stuff?

Move one tire at a time to the rear and see if it moves.

Rule out wheel balance first. Next i would look at is the universal joints since you do not say how many miles are on it.

hi the car has about 178,000 miles

the first thing I had done was all the tires rebalanced and rotated so its not balance issue

Does it seem to come from the seat of your pants (even though you feel it in the steering wheel).

How are the wheel bearings.

Does it seem to go faster or slower on turns.

You are at the mileage where the universals can be suspect.

Is it a heavy or annoying vibration?

How are the CV joints (boots don't tell the entire story)

its mainly from the wheel over 65mph the wheel vibrates side to side maybe 1/2 inch. Turning doesn't seem to affect it much but you don't tend to turn much on roads you drive at 65mph+ speed ithat its noticeable at.

not sure about the wheel bearings any play seems to come from the rack.. CV boots look ok

Can someone drive beside you and make sure you are tracking correctly at 70? 1/2 inch is a lot of vibration. Chek to make sure the rack is tight, the steering universal is not seized. Without having the car in my driveway am running out of ideas.

Check the motor and tranny mounts. Check the inner CV joints. Check all the busings in the front end, and the ball joints.

What happens at 75?