Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello from Virginia, 1st time Subie owner, 1991 Loyale

New Subaru owner here.

First one ever for me, 1991 Loyale 4WD.

IMG00990-1.jpg

I'm the third owner. Bought it needing a clutch (slipping), but was able to drive it home okay.

Interesting for a car this old, seems everything else "works" on the car, power windows, A/C, heat, lights, 4wd, etc. Just some rust spots showing on a couple of the fenders. For a car with over 200k miles, this is a good testimony to Subaru in my book.

Paid $200 for the car and drove it home, so I'm not too afraid to put a little money in it to bring it back up to daily driver/winter duty.

Engine has some oil leaks, and very noisy lifters. Much thanks to this site, I'm now aware of the oil pump sealing issues, and have come up with a plan.

So, now I have the car on jackstands, have pulled the radiator and am preparing to due an "motor forward" clutch replacement. I'll also replace the oil pump, water pump, timing belts, accesory belts, hoses, and whatever nickel and dime things I come across as well.

Also, considering the two row radiator upgrade ('89 turbo auto wagon rad?) that I read about on this site, although the original radiator seems in good shape.

And I will do the helicoil install with exhaust studs (are ARP studs overkill?), just not sure what size to go with (the oddball OEM metric or a more common SAE size).

Anyway, just a shadetree mechanic here, but I'm not 'skeered to turn wrenches or get my hands dirty (industrial electrician by trade ;) .

I will check in often as questions arise, and (hopefully) update my progress over the next month or so.

Thanks for making this already such an informative site for owners like myself.

Rob

Hi nice to see another local! There's not too many posters from va.

I live in Marion,3 or so hours south of ya. I have an older 79 DL 4x4 and a 04 wrx. The wagon cost me 300 and i'm about 900 more into it.. finally it's a rolling project lol.. So you all but stole that loyale lol. Super cool too, i want one of these in the near future so i can take the 79 off the road for some body work.

Anyway, Welcome to usmb, if there's anything i can do for ya from my side of the state send me a PM. Picking up a part from craigslist or whatever.. always willing to help, i have recived alot from the other members of this board.

Thanks for the welcomes, and nice to see another forum member in Virginia. :)

I will certainly post as often as I can, especially when I need advice, parts, suggestsions, and to give an occasional update now and then.

I don't have a garage, so progress will be determined by the weather and my work (and play) schedule. This past weekend Subaru work was postponed so I could help my oldest son replace the heater core in his Dodge van. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks again for the warm welcome.

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG01073.jpg

Thanks for the welcome. I agree, an excellent forum!

FYI, if anyone is interested, I started this other thread to update my progress on my Loyale, and inviting suggestions (and help!):

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117158

I hope anyone will feel free to jump in and share their Subaru wisdom and experience, I'll need it.