Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I have a 98 legacy outback in really good condition w/ just over 75k on it and now my airbag light has come on and will not go away w/out any impact or reason know to me. just seeing if anyone has any info that can assist me in avoiding the dealership. I have checked all fuses (to no avail) and wondering if the sensors are known to go bad or anything of the sort. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nick

the clock spring in the steering wheel is probably having a bad contact. that's the only really common issue. they're so easy to replace that i'd just get a used one.

you can have the light flash the codes, i don't recall how from memory but i've done it before by searching on here and following instructions. the light will flash you the code and that tells you why the light is on.

the clock spring in the steering wheel is probably having a bad contact. that's the only really common issue. they're so easy to replace that i'd just get a used one.

you can have the light flash the codes, i don't recall how from memory but i've done it before by searching on here and following instructions. the light will flash you the code and that tells you why the light is on.

Thanks for the help! Clock spring aye? And that's in the steering wheel? Is that pretty easy to replace without the air bag blowing up in my face or how does that work?

And "light flash the codes"? how does this work? I went to the Orileys here and there machine could only read check engine codes. The dealership wants 60 bucks min just to look at it. so i didn't know if the sensors are known to go bad or even how to locate those. The Haynes and Owners manual lack detail unfortunately, plus they say that messing with any components can trigger the airbag to deploy so... am i F'ed ?

Edited by Ruby Ru

The light just means there's something wrong, usually an open circuit in the system, not necessarily that the bags have deployed or that the vehicle was wrecked.

Does your horn work? How about the cruise control? (if equipped)

Hey thanks! Do you know how i go about fixing the open circuit? The horn and cruise control still work. ...i hope, at least the horn does. haven't tried the cruise in a while but ill check.

we are trying telling you how to fix the "open circuit". by "open circuit" he's just saying that the code tells you that the ECU detects a "fault" somewhere - something is out of specifications.....or an "open circuit".

there's a way to get the air bag light to start flashing then you just count the flashes. first series of long flashes are 10 each and the next set of shorter flashes are one each. so FLASH....FLASH....Flash/Flash/Flash. Is 2 longs and 3 shorts or a 23.

practice using the search function here, it's very helpful. i don't recall from memory how to flash that code but i've done it before by searching here. it's going to be something like find a plug under the steering column (i believe towards the center console side) and ground one of the pins in the plug. run a wire from the pin to any ground...even the battery ground if you have to. once you do that it'll flash the code.

The Haynes and Owners manual lack detail unfortunately, plus they say that messing with any components can trigger the airbag to deploy so... am i F'ed ?

Don't listen to them. As long as you're careful you can remove and replace any part of the system with no ill effects. You just need to disconnect the battery about 15 minutes prior to doing any work on the airbag system.

We need to figure out what is causing the light to come on before going in and digging around replacing parts.

There is a thread on the site here somewhere that tells you the procedure for putting the airbag system in self diagnostic mode, and it will flash out any fault codes through the light on the dash. Try searching Airbag light and see what you can come up with. Some cars flash the code when the ignition is turned on, and it's just a matter of counting the flashes.

While I'll be surprised if it's something else you'll want to check the code first to be sure unless you just happen to have an extra clock spring siting availale.

And that's in the steering wheel? QUOTE]
the clock spring in the steering wheel
it’s under the steering wheel.

Is that pretty easy to replace without the air bag blowing up in my face or how does that work?

they're so easy to replace that i'd just get a used one.

Like I said, they are very easy to replace. I’ve rebuilt wrecks and replaced tons of air bag stuff, it’s easy, bags don’t just randomly deploy. I don’t even disconnect the battery but you’re supposed to – so you should.

The Haynes and Owners manual lack detail unfortunately, plus they say that messing with any components can trigger the airbag to deploy so... am i F'ed ?

No, it’s easy. There’s lots of safety precautions like that which you ignore daily, it’s just a warning a corporate CYA….i mean it’s legit but you’d have a be a real goob to go blowing up air bags multiple times.

If you'd like to read the SRS codes, see:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99872

The EndWrench article referred to in that thread is no longer accessible, but it's not really required. As long as you can find the B82 diagnosis connector and "diagnosis terminals" (ground leads), you can do the procedure. It's under the dash, above the accelerator pedal, but if not previously used it may be taped to the wiring harness. The thread includes a link to another post showing the B82 diagram, but I'll repeat it here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=668884

Once you find the connector:

1) Turn the ignition switch to "ON", but don't start the engine.

2) Connect a ground lead to pin #1 of the B82 diagnostic connector

3) Note the long and short flashes of the airbag light

Let us know what codes you get.

i didn't know jack about air bag stuff and just started learning right here like you're doing. everything you need to know is right here on this board. a few minutes figuring out how that search function and there's very few things you won't be able to tackle.

once you figure out what you need car-parts.com is the used parts resource you'll want.

i just did mine today, the clock spring that is. removing the air bag and steering wheel is easy, (steering wheel puller helps a lot, i used a harmonic balancer puller i already had. the steering wheel is not real tight but the puller made it easy.) the only hard part is disconnecting the steering column wire connector from the clock spring.

you have to remove the 3 small screws attaching the clock spring and then i removed the plastic surrounding the steering column (4 scews from the under side up in deep recesses.) and the metal bracket screwed on to the under side of the column.

there is no APPARENT way to disconnect the wires from the clock spring. so i lifted the sides of the ''keeper'' and that didn't release it. so i then inserted a small screwdriver on ''non-white'' side of the wires and pryed it out. the white connector can be seen in the clock spring receiver. the white is apparent on one side of the wires but the other side of the wires are covered with a black keeper. this is the side you want to stick your screwdriver into. it worked but they didn't really intend for it to be replaced.

once the wire is out the rest is easy.

one note, make sure the wheels of the car and the steering wheel are all straight before you bolt the steering wheel back on. other wise you will be doing it over, like i did. i took me about an hour, maybe a little more to remove one from my parts car and and then remove the broken one and install the good one in my daily driver.

Edited by johnceggleston