Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Really bizzare electrical event, help please!

Hi there, I have a 2000 Legacy Outback wagon with 140K gentle miles. Everything has been working relatively well. I've been noticing an occasional "hot" smell sometimes when I stop the car but the fluids are all fine and the temp needle is always where it normally is. This may have nothing to do with the issue. The hot smell seems like coolant, not oil, not electrical. But all fluids seem at good levels and no indications otherwise of any problems but I mention it because it is new.

But here is the strange electrical issue:

I did some short errands, approx 10 miles, parked the car as usual, in park, lights out. Returned, put the key in and turned the two clicks, at the instant of the second click all went dead. Everything. No dome lights, no radio, no emergency flashers nothing. Complete lack of electrical power. Also could not budge the automatic shifter. (I wanted to put the car in neutral push it to a slightly better location)

After trying some various things, the door opening finally got the dome lights to come on and the door open indicator on the dashboard lighting up too. Key could be inserted and clicked once without loosing the lights, but going to the second click killed everything again. Radio is dead but CD changer goes thru it's power-down routine which it never does in regular use.

More strangeness: When the door is open, dome lights and dash lights are on then if I step on the brake pedal it kills all the lights/power again. I have to close the door, then re-open to get some lights/power back. I cannot get any power to start the engine at all, the key clicked into the second click kills all power to the vehicle, but opening the door brings back the interior lights. No headlights of any description. Did not try the fog lamps.

Other doors opening will also bring on the interior lights, but not the tailgate. Open that all stays dark.

Pushing the emergency flasher button gets a clicking sound but no flashing lights.

It was dark when this all happened and I was close to home. So I did not investigate further.

Key does look worn. Someone suggested it may be worn out. I did not have the spare with me and it was too dark to fuss with the emergency key I have on the car. I've had batteries go out before but this is not like that. When I can get the lights on, they are good and strong. The key and the brake pedal can kill the power to the lights however. Very strange. I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks for your help!

i had a similar situation with my 97 obw, pulled in after a 3 hour road trip, the car dran great. went to move the car 15 ft and nothing. after a few minutes or maybe the next morning, i can't remember, power was back but i had some issues. a new battery cured it all. never has happened since.

it's probably the battery.

the coolant smell however may be a little more expensive. that could be a head gasket leak which will increase over time if it is.

[...]it's probably the battery.

Or possibly just a bad connection of one of the cables at the battery. Sometimes corrosion gradually increases there, and some vibration or a temperature change is all it needs to get bad enough to not conduct enough current. I'd look at the battery connections first.

Much the same happened to my 2000 OBW. For me, it was the OE security system that created many of the problems you describe when the battery has failed. I replaced the battery and all was well for several months, then return of many of the symptoms, followed soon thereafter by complete failure of the alternator. Replaced it and all is well now.

If not battery corrosion, then a bad battery like others have said. Some time ago, I had a VW. One day, it seemed a little difficult to start, then the dash gauges started reading crazy, and the motor ran rough. Turned out to be a battery with a failing cell, so output was more like 10 volts. Replaced the battery fixed the problem.