Ultimate Subaru Message Board

roller bearing replacement

Rust

93 loyale EA82 pushbutton 4WD 5speed

Symptoms: severe vibration in all gears. stick shift vibrating left and right. steering wheel not vibrating, no front wheel vibration. Acts like a loose motor/tranny mount.

Checked all motor and tranny mounts...all good and tight.

replacd cv axle drivers side thinking it was a bad inner cv joint. Did not fix vibration but made it less severe.

Checked snub axle ends and they both wiggle a bit.. not tight. So now I'm thinkging the roller bearings in the tranny are shot. My questions are:

1. can the roller bearings be replaced w/o removing the tranny from the car.....or does the tranny have to come out and split the case?

2. can I use a set of roller bearings from a non 4WD 5speed tranny?

3. when pulling the snub axles out to replace the bearings do they both have to line up with the differential case in the same position they were pulled out of or does it not matter?

Any feedback from someone with simmilar problem, or has done this proceedure greatly appreciated...thanxs

Have you checked the driveline u-joints?

The front diff bearings are not serviceable - they are pressed onto the diff carrier and cannot be removed and installed without removeing the diff from the transmission - which requires complete dissasembly.

I have never seen these cause any sort of vibration - you can tighten the bearings by threading in the outer race/seal holders but you have to be careful as these also set the front diff R&P clearance. If you were to tighten them (I'm not sure I would even bother - just find another tranny), then you would want to adust them BOTH equally to avoid any massive changes to the R&P setup. At any rate that play is not the cause of your vibration nor is it likely even important to mess with it. The play you are feeling might just be in the stubs themselves and not the bearings - they are seperate entities.

GD

Since I'm looking at a tranny swap, I might as well remove the rear drive shaft and drive it around briefly to rule out that as the main culprit. The u-joints on the rear shaft seem ok. the stubs seem to be the only thing I can detect as loose. thanxs for the feedback.