Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tried searching for this, and could only find the problem in conjunction with the speedo stopping (so sorry if this is a repeat). I've got a 97' legacy, AT. While on a 300-mile drive, the odometer stopped working (trip too) at exactly 151000. Speedometer, cruise, everything else electronically works fine. Haven't done anything to the car lately, and there aren't any mechanical symptoms. The odometer started working again about a week later, first thing in the morning for a nine mile drive, then didn't work again after I started the car to drive home. So, it's froze at 151009 and is really annoying me. Didn't see any bad fuses, but I'm not too familiar with these new subarus so my only help is a hanes manual. Any ideas? Dog hair caught in the odometer gears? Is it worth it to dismantle the dash to check it out?

Thanks

if it was the speed sensor the check engine light would eventually come on and you could pull the code confirming it. might have to pull the instrument panel apart and take a look but it's pretty straight forward, just look for all the screws on top and bottom. i've personally never heard of just the odometer stopping. heard plenty of cases, including my own, of both going out w/ cruise control as well.

good luck.

Wow! That is really bizzare! :eek: I'll have to look into that one for you. I have never heard of that or seen it before either. The speed sensor is obviously working since the ECU is not complaining and the speedo works.

This could be related to the possible odometer roll-back we uncovered with the car-fax on that one. They may have dissasembled the cluster and tried to manually flip the odometer wheels back - possibly damaging something in the process. That would be my first guess.

I would replace the whole gauge cluster probably - but there are alternatives. If you have GPS that will tell you mileage (probably cumbersome though), or you can mount a 12v hour-meter and track the hours of engine-on-time (which is actually a more accurate way of doing maintenance anyway).

I can likely find you a gauge cluster if you want to change it. Other than some screws in weird places it's pretty simple - remove the surround, unbolt the cluster, and bolt the new one in place. If you want me to find you one you can have it for what the yard charges me - I'll consider it a warantee job. I'll swap if for you if you want to take a road trip :-p

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

haha, well thanks! I thought it might have something to do with that too. I'll take a look inside if I see anything obvious. It's not urgent, but if you want to shoot me a message with what you think a gauge cluster will cost I'll probably go that route (wont be up your way for a couple months). Or I could trade you for an 86' GL-10 lawn ornament:-p

Everything else is going great! Did my first oil change on her a few weeks ago and she's all ready for some winter fun.