Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 legacy timing belt / interferance engine?

Hi all,

I'm looking at picking up a '92 Legacy to use as a daily driver while I do engine work on my Outback, and then to build into an offroader. I've found one with a broken timing belt and the owner swears it's an interference motor, but I was under the impression that none of them were until later, though it does make a clacking sound when the engine turns over.

So my questions are, were there any interference engines available for this car? and I can't see the engine ID but I'm assuming it's an EJ22, correct? If it does in fact just need a timing belt I'd jump all over it, a new engine on the other hand... well I have too many projects like that already!

The EJ22 was non-interference from its introduction in 1989 through the '96 MY. Was interference from '97 'til they quit making them ('99?).

Even if the engine was replaced it wouldn't make any sense to swap in a newer interference model since they were OBD-2 (from MY '95)!

Can you tell where the clacking sound is coming from--timing belt area or valves?

Good luck.

92 EJ22 is definitely NON interference. So, if the seller swears it is interference, don't argue with him. Buy the car on the cheap, by telling him the valves and maybe the pistons are now shot, so it is going to take a new engine. You should therefore be able to buy the car for near scrap value of $100-$200.

i agree with olnic. the ej22 was non-interference untill pretty much obd2 came out. just find out where the clacking is coming from. that word scares me (clacking). i prefer lighter noises like ticks. could be crank or rod bearings maybe? your talking about turning the motor with the belt off right?

Daaaang you guys are quick!

Thanks for the confirmation on the engine, but the more I think about it the more that clacking sound bothers me and I can't quite tell where it is coming from.

The guy does practically want scrap value for it ($300) but I'll probably pass,

Thanks for the help!

it's actually the other way around, what is being said almost verifies that there's nothing wrong with the engine, assuming nothing is wrong with the bottom end which is highly unlikely. if the belt is broken then the engine can't really make any noise - the belt isn't turning any cams or valves.

it's probably just leftover bits of the belt flopping around under the timing covers.

i would want to avoid like a cracked flexplate, which is really rare and only possible on an auto.

this sounds simple - the timing belt broke and now it's making noise. improbable for it to be something else. but you obviously have some misgivings to turn away too, so first hand sight is worth a lot.

Daaaang you guys are quick!

Thanks for the confirmation on the engine, but the more I think about it the more that clacking sound bothers me and I can't quite tell where it is coming from.

The guy does practically want scrap value for it ($300) but I'll probably pass,

Thanks for the help!

Still if the body is decent, and the interior half way clean, buying at $300 or less could be a good deal. Did you check the oil level? Those old 2.2 motors were built tough, and nearly bullet proof. It may not take much to get that motor running good again.

you guys have a lot of insight for sure, I appreciate the feedback.

Interior is ehh, body is ehh (one fender is rusted pretty badly but not a spot on the rest of the car) and the interior is ehh, but I think it will pay for itself just in gas savings if it means I don't have to drive my truck around while I work on my outback.

So I towed it back and got the shop heated up and dug into it. Hmmmm, the cover seems to have an extra hole melted through it where there should be an idler pully behind it, and there were these little metal balls and shrapnel stuck / melted to the inside of it! I guess that clacking sound was in fact the timing belt flopping around inside, thanks grossgary!

you guys have a lot of insight for sure, I appreciate the feedback.

Interior is ehh, body is ehh (one fender is rusted pretty badly but not a spot on the rest of the car) and the interior is ehh, but I think it will pay for itself just in gas savings if it means I don't have to drive my truck around while I work on my outback.

So I towed it back and got the shop heated up and dug into it. Hmmmm, the cover seems to have an extra hole melted through it where there should be an idler pully behind it, and there were these little metal balls and shrapnel stuck / melted to the inside of it! I guess that clacking sound was in fact the timing belt flopping around inside, thanks grossgary!

Since I read that you are digging into it, I assume you bought the car. Is it as easy as replacing the idler pulley and TB to get her running again?

Since I read that you are digging into it, I assume you bought the car. Is it as easy as replacing the idler pulley and TB to get her running again?

Yup I did buy it, and yes all it needed was the pulley and belt and it runs great! Start to finish it took about 3 hours, I'm beginning to like working on these cars!