Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I purchased this vehicle through a friend without seeing it. He told me it's a 2.2 but it might be a 2.5. How long can expect the head gaskets to last if they're not already bad?

Also, the battery went dead so I took the one out of my 91 legacy. Upon doing so, I noticed the battery light was still on and the side lights kept flashing with the car turned off, despite all the light controls being off. Why would this be? I'm guessing the alternator is bad but could the electrical be screwed up as well?

Thanks in advance

Edited by DavieGravy

There is a little black button.

If you're lucky it's right behind the hood release inside. If you're unlucky it's a black button taped up (hidden - atleast originally) under the steering column. You can probably search for pics.

It's a bit of a perverse situation - a Subaru alarm. You can typically still start and drive the car, the 4-ways just blink slowly. Eventually they will kill the battery.

Grab a flashlight, and head to the drivers side floormat and look up and feel.

you know you are a subie owner if .....

when you buy a ''new'' sube for 800$ yoiu only post pics of the engine.

sounds like a deal to me, but you may have some minor issues, most do at that mileage. if you put a couple of hundred into it and drive it a couple of years that's a deal. if you drive lots longer all the better.

it would be nice to know what year the engine is, but you may not ever know. i'd plan on the timing belt in the near future. it is due at 180k. look for lits on ebay sold by ''theimportexperts''. good kits for the belt, idlers, and water pump.

Thanks for the replies. Is this a 2.2 or a 2.5?

engine.jpg

Car certaily HAD a 2.5 in it originally, but it looks like that motor is too narrow to be a 2.5. And the Power Steering lines don't match the mounts on the manifold.

Must have been swapped at some point.