Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My First Car: 97 Legacy OB

Yes - you can handle it. Tell her to give you half the money that she would have spent on the transmission and you can buy tools (which will be useful for the rest of your life), and the transmission, and install it in a weekend or two. Explain to her that it is both educational and also adding to your tool collection which is priceless - many of those tools will be useful down the line - maybe to fix your car, or maybe to fix HER car. You never know. A tool is almost never a bad investment - at the very least you could buy craftsman and then return them after the job is done :lol:

Transmission swap is pretty simple on an automatic. Transfer clutch and solenoid are WAY easier than that. The biggest thing is to come HERE when you are confused or frustrated and we will tell you how to proceed. With a friend, and this forum you can accomplish almost anything on that car.

Other than the transfer clutch pack and the solenoid these transmissions are VERY reliable. I have a customer with one that had a little torque bind at 215k - we flushed it out twice. The shifting got a lot smoother and the torque bind is nearly gone - it now has 245k on it. He drives 160 miles a day commute and has put 30k on it in 8 months. With proper maintenance and replacing your solenoid and clutch pack it should easily make 300k.

Show her this thread - make her read my comments. Show her my post count and my join date. I work on these for a living - I buy and sell them all the time. I know of what I speak and I'm not asking you for money - so consider my motivation here vs. the dealership. :)

GD

If anything, she turned me to her side. :-\

Basically, she's heard nothing but good about the dealership from a lot her friends. She isn't so sure that I'm up to the task of starting out working on cars by completely disassembling the transmission. From everyone I've talked to now (my dad, a local transmission shop, and the dealership), the junkyard tranny isn't a very reliable option, especially because of the ammount of labor involved if the transmission doesn't turn out good. Also, both her and my dad have had major automatic transmission issues and repair horror stories from their '90s Fords, so they are skeptical whether or not shops can fix them, let a lone a scrawny 17 year old kid with no prior car experience.

I do see your point on how it could be done for way cheaper, but I really don't have the experience to try to tackle this. I understand it's very very expensive but I've spent a few hours talking to my mom, a few different shops, and some of her friends that may or may not help me.

I see that the repair is simple in concept, but I really have no idea what basically anything under the hood does, so I feel like I'm starting out working on cars at the same place as starting out working on computers by volt-modding a video card.

Basically my mom, despite my attempts to convince her, feels better about going with the new transmission option, regardless of price. I also really need a car ASAP, and the dealership said it will be done as soon as they get the new tranny, either tomorrow or Friday. It takes the stress off of me by not making me have to repair the one shot I have of a car with absolutely no experience. Best of all I do still get to learn how to work on my car as the dealership is giving me a list of the other minor repairs that need to be done (some belts, gaskets, etc).

Hopefully I don't look like too big of an idiot, as I'm basically saying on a DIY computer form how I want BestBuy's Geek Squad to work on my computer when I could easily fix it at home. I do want to learn this stuff, I just don't think starting with the transmission is the best way to get my feet wet.

Thank you guys so much for the advice, and I really wish you lived closer so one of you could help me with doing the transmission job.

It does not require complete dissasembly. Replacement of the transfer clutch and the solenoid is about a 2 to 4 hour job. It's a very simple task actually - not at all like soldering on SMD resistors (yeah - I've done my share of computer work).

Junk yards, by and large, do not sell bad transmissions, engines, etc. They are pulled from running cars - usually running well enough to get into an accident. They are inspected and cleaned and then sold if everything looks in order. Your chances of getting a bad transmission is very low. It's never happened to me and I have bought dozens. It is completely unfounded for your parents to claim this nor can the words of a transmission shop be trusted (they have monetary gain in mind). Further - it is unlikely that you need the whole tranny.

As for you mother not being sure you are up to the task - well that's something YOU should be decideing since you are almost a man now. Stop calling yourself a kid and stop viewing yourself in that light. Speak up for yourself. Tell her you are a man and wish to handle this in your own way. I know how hard this can be - I had to basically join the Army for my mother to realize she didn't have to be my mommy anymore. It's tough but it's got to be done.

It is not a Ford - nor is that experience applicable except to someone that has a complete lack of understanding of mechanics and automotive principles.

Basically your parents are driven by fear - they are afraid of what they do not understand and are seeking not only a way to not have to face said fear but also reinforcement that their fear is well founded and pragmatic. They do not weigh the options with an open mind. Their fear is debilitating and costly. And that is sad.

I understand you are stuck in the middle here with little recourse as you are not the one holding the means to move the mountain..... Just don't let their close-minded, fearful mentality eat into your young brain. Don't become a man that is driven by fear of the world around him. You sought out the answer and found it - just because it wasn't received by your parents doesn't mean it wasn't the right answer. In this case they are wrong and there's nothing you can do about it. But at least you tried.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

It does not require complete dissasembly. Replacement of the transfer clutch and the solenoid is about a 2 to 4 hour job. It's a very simple task actually - not at all like soldering on SMD resistors (yeah - I've done my share of computer work).

Junk yards, by and large, do not sell bad transmissions, engines, etc. They are pulled from running cars - usually running well enough to get into an accident. They are inspected and cleaned and then sold if everything looks in order. Your chances of getting a bad transmission is very low. It's never happened to me and I have bought dozens. It is completely unfounded for your parents to claim this nor can the words of a transmission shop be trusted (they have monetary gain in mind). Further - it is unlikely that you need the whole tranny.

As for you mother not being sure you are up to the task - well that's something YOU should be decideing since you are almost a man now. Stop calling yourself a kid and stop viewing yourself in that light. Speak up for yourself. Tell her you are a man and wish to handle this in your own way. I know how hard this can be - I had to basically join the Army for my mother to realize she didn't have to be my mommy anymore. It's tough but it's got to be done.

It is not a Ford - nor is that experience applicable except to someone that has a complete lack of understanding of mechanics and automotive principles.

Basically your parents are driven by fear - they are afraid of what they do not understand and are seeking not only a way to not have to face said fear but also reinforcement that their fear is well founded and pragmatic. They do not weigh the options with an open mind. Their fear is debilitating and costly. And that is sad.

I understand you are stuck in the middle here with little recourse as you are not the one holding the means to move the mountain..... Just don't let their close-minded, fearful mentality eat into your young brain. Don't become a man that is driven by fear of the world around him. You sought out the answer and found it - just because it wasn't received by your parents doesn't mean it wasn't the right answer. In this case they are wrong and there's nothing you can do about it. But at least you tried.

GD

Yeah, I wish I was a little more in control here. I tried one last time and she isn't willing to budge. She's quite certain she wants it this way.

Looking at it on the bright side, she is confident that I can handle the few other belts and gaskets (I have no clue which yet) that need to be replaced, so I am getting a little further with her.

Thanks with all of your support and advice. I wish you guys had some kind of a rep system or some way that I could help or repay you in return.

mrtn400

Thanks with all of your support and advice. I wish you guys had some kind of a rep system or some way that I could help or repay you in return.

Well - you can help out by donating to the board. You get more storage space for PM's, pictures, etc. It's a simple $5 paypal. That would certainly help and is encouraged if you find the board useful, etc. Note that I do not run this board or incur it's financial obligations nor am I a staff member. I merely sugest it when people indicate they find this place useful.

GD

Well - you can help out by donating to the board. You get more storage space for PM's, pictures, etc. It's a simple $5 paypal. That would certainly help and is encouraged if you find the board useful, etc. Note that I do not run this board or incur it's financial obligations nor am I a staff member. I merely sugest it when people indicate they find this place useful.

GD

That sounds like a great idea. :)

Best of luck with whatever you do. You might ask the dealership to give you the old transmission and you can learn what's involved with replacing the transfer clutch and duty solenoid.

I've learned most of my skills by pulling the parts I needed at the local pull a part junkyard. Gave me practice on removal and taught me what not to do during the re-installation the part.

Best of luck with whatever you do. You might ask the dealership to give you the old transmission and you can learn what's involved with replacing the transfer clutch and duty solenoid.

I've learned most of my skills by pulling the parts I needed at the local pull a part junkyard. Gave me practice on removal and taught me what not to do during the re-installation the part.

Thanks for the idea.

My biggest issues with doing the transmission repair myself were that I wouldn't have anything to drive until I got it fixed and that if I messed something up then I would make the repairs take way longer or I would be out of a car. This way I can fix the issue on my own time and without the worries and in the end I'll have a spare working transmission. :banana:

Heck, I might even be able to sell it to help my mom out.

I have been there to man. I had a 1987 GL-10 a few years back, and when I got some money I threw almost $2500 for a "new" ea82 and trans. Found this board several years later and kick myself for being so dumb. But live and learn.

Too bad your mom is hell bent on wasting her money at the stealership, there are WAY better options. Granted they might take time, but I got WAY more time than money, so guess which option I would choose? :lol: But it sounds like it's not really up to you, so it is what it is. I am not saying that the dealership will do shoty work or anything like that, but they are trained at selling things like cars, warranties, and repairs, so it sounds like they got your mom real good and scared for her little baby boy :) My guess is that is more the reason why the new transmission is the "best and only option" rather than the actually transmission options themselves wether it be used from CL, the board here, or the JY. Most JY also offer warranties on stuff like that, so you would think that would help sooth her mind. That and the difference in price! But whatever, the stealership did their job and got a new tranny out of your mom :rolleyes:

As for the comment that if the JY trans is bad it's a lot of effort to swap it out again... Uh, no it's not, you have already done it! I know with me the 2nd time I do ANYTHING, I usually do it about 2x faster than I did the first time! So after doing it once, a tranny swap should be no big thang at all! But I digress...

Don't let this whole experience burn you on Subaru's either. Doesn't sound like it will, but just keep that in mind. Once you get all the regular maintenance done on it, it should run for a long time and give you years of trouble free miles. I love my subies alot!

Glad you found the board as well, so at least you can see that they are more options than just taking it to the dealer. So now you can have some goals to get better at working on cars so that if this happens again it won't be a big deal at all to get down and dirty to "git-r-done". I know that my mechanic skills have improved greatly do to the board here (thanks all!) so hopefully it will do the same for you!

Good luck man, and keep us posted!

I have been there to man. I had a 1987 GL-10 a few years back, and when I got some money I threw almost $2500 for a "new" ea82 and trans. Found this board several years later and kick myself for being so dumb. But live and learn.

Too bad your mom is hell bent on wasting her money at the stealership, there are WAY better options. Granted they might take time, but I got WAY more time than money, so guess which option I would choose? :lol: But it sounds like it's not really up to you, so it is what it is. I am not saying that the dealership will do shoty work or anything like that, but they are trained at selling things like cars, warranties, and repairs, so it sounds like they got your mom real good and scared for her little baby boy :) My guess is that is more the reason why the new transmission is the "best and only option" rather than the actually transmission options themselves wether it be used from CL, the board here, or the JY. Most JY also offer warranties on stuff like that, so you would think that would help sooth her mind. That and the difference in price! But whatever, the stealership did their job and got a new tranny out of your mom :rolleyes:

As for the comment that if the JY trans is bad it's a lot of effort to swap it out again... Uh, no it's not, you have already done it! I know with me the 2nd time I do ANYTHING, I usually do it about 2x faster than I did the first time! So after doing it once, a tranny swap should be no big thang at all! But I digress...

Don't let this whole experience burn you on Subaru's either. Doesn't sound like it will, but just keep that in mind. Once you get all the regular maintenance done on it, it should run for a long time and give you years of trouble free miles. I love my subies alot!

Glad you found the board as well, so at least you can see that they are more options than just taking it to the dealer. So now you can have some goals to get better at working on cars so that if this happens again it won't be a big deal at all to get down and dirty to "git-r-done". I know that my mechanic skills have improved greatly do to the board here (thanks all!) so hopefully it will do the same for you!

Good luck man, and keep us posted!

Yeah, I won't get deterred from Subs. I specifically went out looking for an outback that was about this model year. My grandpa has one and I thought it was awesome because it has so much room, it seems to just keep going, and they just look so cool, even 13 years later. :grin:

There are a few other repairs that need to be done and I plan on doing them myself, so I won't let this little episode stop me.

Is CCR still doing trannies? Might be a cheaper alternative then what the dealership will charge you for a new one. www.ccrengines.com

Thanks for the link.

No I don't see anything about trannies, but it's nice to know I can get a rebuilt engine if I wreck anything. :lol: