Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Build thread for 77 Leone Wagon 4X4

My son and I purchased this is cool little wagon a few months ago. The engine runs but we have a problem. The car sat in a field for 20 years and the fuel system is badly laquered. We were able to get fuel through the tubing from the fuel tank to the carb, but the tank is where we are at for now. (still trying to get the "jello" out) haha. So we are at a stand still..

Anyone know where I can get a new fuel tank??

Currently trying lacquer thinner in the tank and blowing air in the outlet tubing but no luck yet. There is a local radiator shop that said they could take care of it for 250-300 bucks but not sure I want to spend that much quite yet. I'm even thinking of cutting a hole in the bottom big enough to clean it out but then I would need to have someone weld it back together. Anyone have any ideas??

Here's some pics of what we have so far...

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0266.jpg

[/img][/img]DSC_0267.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0898.jpg

Edited by oleman77

My kind of guy. You'll want just good used parts fairly cheap , so you'll likely reap the benefits of my cleaning storage and blowing out old stock.

Do a walk around and make a list. I've got tail lights - Earl ,you'll get yours too -:eek: and all sorts of bits.

Lift kits you'll find from a couple guys here , I'm pretty sure. That is if that's what you mean by "build". If you want to make it a street looker I've got fenders and one of us has a hatch I'm sure. Plenty of glass and I might have a windshild gasket too.

I've got a '78 4WD wagon. Very precious to me. :grin:

Wow, cool deal! I have been searching on the internet for parts (especially tail light covers) and was beginning to wonder if I was going to be able to find anything. Sounds great! Right now just trying to get the ole girl running.

As far as a parts list for now we are looking for a decent fuel tank so if you know where we could pick one up that would be great! Something else I'm thinking we are going to need is a carburetor rebuild kit. It does run when we get fuel to the carb but I'm sure to make it reliable we would need to clean it up as well....

The next thing we would want to purchase is a left tail light cover and a front right turn signal light cover so we can make it street legal.

As far as lifting it, that would be cool as well but unfortunately working on a budget so we will have to wait on that for now.

I would like to see some pics of your 78. Do you have a URL for me to go to check them out?

Thanks for your help....

Pete

Glad you're not lifting it actually. :) I just put "Build" and "lift" together. Lots of that going on as you'll notice in other forums.

Tail light and turn signal complete , I have both sitting right here.

I have some carb. rebuild kits too , but I'm trying to figure out what a couple of them go to for sure. You'll notice those somewhere in the Parts For Sale Forum. Pics included. I'll be digging up more carb kits I'm pretty sure , and am pretty sure there's the late 70's 1600 version in there.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=116562&highlight=carb+rebuild

You might have a spider web in the "blow back" or whatever its called .... don't mind me I'm pretty hurtin right now ....its called the fuel seperator or something like that , sits in the rear quarter well , green hose I think....Sounds hokey but what I'm getting at is blow out all those lines. Yes , I realize your real problem is varnished old gas. :)

This car I'm working on now might have a good tank for you. I know for sure it has a really nice fuel feed tube. This guy really took care of this wagon ,aircraft engineer , very cool guy , one of us.:) He went out of his way to hit yards all over for parts for this car way back when.

If I fail to keep track here you're welcome to contact me , Paul , at moosens at yahoo dot com.

Cheers!

Thanks guys...

Paul, let me know on the tank. I've spent a lot of time on tank already and I think I have the inside cleaned pretty good but still cant unclog the tube in which the gas comes out of the tank. Plugged real good. I'm real close to sending it to the radiator shop and drop some bucks to get it usable.

I removed the carb today to get it ready for rebuild. I will begin to take it apart tonight or tomorrow. How can I tell what carburetor I have so that I can let you know and possibly get a rebuild kit from you. THX......pete

Took more pic's:

DSC_1019.jpg

DSC_1018.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_1017.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

Edited by oleman77

Found a complete running 79 ea71 with a good fuel system, good light covers, everything that I think I need to get mine running! All I need to do is go and get it. Time for a road trip!! Should have it within a week....

Edited by oleman77

• 5 months later...

Haven't sent an update in a while. Took engine out, cleaned up engine compartment, cleaned up engine and parts. Didn't rebuild it, had good compression. Had some paint mixed up and painted the oil pan and valve covers. Put her back together and add a Weber carb. Can't wait to get the engine back in the wagon. Still need to get new front axles and cv joints and boots. 4" lift on order. Below are some pic's if you want to see the progress.

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/petetrosky/

Will send another update and pic's soon.....

• 8 months later...

Well it's been a while since I updated you guys. Things have been going pretty slow but did get the engine installed last week. After a few minor issues it's running well. Front and rear axles are next. Hope to get them done in the next few weeks. It will be drivable then and will have to decide how far to go from there. Do I do a complete restoration or clean it up and enjoy it for a while. Anyway I have updated my photobucket if anyone is interested in seeing more pics of the continued project. Below is the link...

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/petetrosky/