Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's been awhile since I've been on board so this question may have been answered a bunch of times.. here goes:

I have a 93 Impreza AWD wagon and the automatic transmission sometimes takes forever to shift from 2nd to 3rd revving as high as 4,000 and refusing to shift..sometimes for as log as 20 minutes then all of a sudden it does.Other times when it begins to act weird, I shut off the engine, start it back up and it runs fine.. I'm suspicious of the TCU (transmission control unit) and I have the chance to get another one. The number on mine are 31711 AC113 and the replacement is 31771 AD 540. Would this swap out work?? Thanks as always for your input!

It's been awhile since I've been on board so this question may have been answered a bunch of times.. here goes:

I have a 93 Impreza AWD wagon and the automatic transmission sometimes takes forever to shift from 2nd to 3rd revving as high as 4,000 and refusing to shift..sometimes for as log as 20 minutes then all of a sudden it does.Other times when it begins to act weird, I shut off the engine, start it back up and it runs fine.. I'm suspicious of the TCU (transmission control unit) and I have the chance to get another one. The number on mine are 31711 AC113 and the replacement is 31771 AD 540. Would this swap out work?? Thanks as always for your input!

my impression of TCUs is that there is very little difference between them. however they are computer circuit boards which can be programed. so i don't really know. but i doubt seriously you will cause any damage by installing the wrong one. if the wire connectors match up and as long as both cars are of the same trans type, awd vs. fwd, i think you will be ok. and if you can try it before you buy it, all the better.

if you have a choice, i would tend to stick to cars of a similar year style, size and weight.

i have swapped a 96 Lego L wgn into a 95 lego L sedan, and into a 97 lego GT wgn with no ills what so ever. also with no apparent improvement or change.

one note: the 95 vs. 96 have a different box and bracket, but the boards inside are the same, so i swapped the boards into the other box / bracket. just because the bracket is different doesn't mean the TCU is.

Edited by johnceggleston