Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy OB keyless entry - should it chirp?

I decided to take apart my remotes in hopes of getting my keyless entry to work. ..and I did! It works great, but I'm left wondering if it's supposed to chirp/beep/honk when I lock/unlock the car.

I thought it might be in valet mode, so I read up and found that the red button on the dash toggles this. No beep either way.

I didn't see any siren under the hood, so I figured it must use the car's horn (if it's supposed to be audible).

Any words of wisdom about this?

I was wondering the same thing when I got a remote. I noticed a connector unplugged near the remote ecu so I thought it might be it but I haven't checked. I also don't have the alarm. I am interested to hear some replies... I know with my old rover that you had to have the stealership program it into the car with a testbook...

I went through this successfully with my '98 Legacy.

do you have the black box to the left of the driver's leg when seated (may be tucked up in that area)? Also should have a small pushbutton mounted at the edge of the dash near your foot (tricky to find).

This was a CodeAlarm system, and it did have a siren under the hood - not sure why you don't have one (maybe removed?) My dealer had cut the cables to mine because it seems he couldn't figure out how to make it work

you can program the remotes yourself (for the second poster) and you can also turn the chirp on/off with a microswitch located on the black box itself (but you'd need the siren for it)

my 97 GT has remote entry, without the alarm part. it does not chirp when activated and there is no ''red'' indicator light on the dash. (near the fog light switch.)

my 98 obw has the alarm part and the red indicator and it chirps.

if you have the red indicator, either the alarm part of the harness has been unplugged or the ''horn'' under the hood has been removed. the alarm horn is different form the car horn. the alarm horn is shaped like a PA system speaker, ''horn'' shaped.

I don't know if this applies, but I got this off of my 1999 Legacy Outback owners manual.

Selecting audible signal operation

Using the horn, the system will give you an audible signal when the

doors lock and unlock. If desired, you may turn the audible signal off.

To turn the audible signal off, simultaneously depress “LOCK/ARM” and

“UNLOCK/DISARM” buttons for more than two seconds. The horn will

sound two times to inform you that the audible signal has been turned

off.

To turn the audible signal on, simultaneously depress “LOCK/ARM” and

sound one time to inform you that the audible signal has been turned on.

Is this what you were talking about???

depress “LOCK/ARM” and

sound one time to inform you that the audible signal has been turned on.

if you do this on a c ar with an alarm, it will sound the alarm !!!!!

holding both buttons on a car with the alarm part is like pressing the ''panic'' button.

I just tried it and all it did was make my lights blink slowly... 97 OB no alarm

lights blink slowly?

yeah your siren is missing or connection is cut, and the alarm is ''SOUNDING" but you can't hear it

To get the lights to stop flashing, or kill the alarm, turn your ignition on and hit the small button at the base of your dash on the far lower left. There should also be an ignition kill while this is happening, unless that has been disabled as well (it was on my 98)

there are several connections that go into the black box - make sure they're all connected to get your locks working (a remote program procedure needs to occur as well - you can find it on cars101.com)

Edited by Bostonian1976

the 2 i've seen were mounted on the fire wall or strut tower, passenger side.

found it! The siren is on the strut tower, pointed exactly straight down. Looks nothing like a siren, so I probably stared right at it a dozen times. The red wire is cut. I'm gonna patch that up tomorrow :)

thanks Subarubies.