Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA to EJ Radiatior Swap

T'subaru

It looks like us radiator has dropped the 2 row EA radiator #1269. I was planning on ordering one and having the EJ outlets installed. Plan B is to order their Legacy turbo rad #1819 and modifying the core support. Id be curious to see what others have done to make this happen.

Mark

http://www.usaradiator.com/SUBARU--LEGACY--1994.html

You don't want the early turbo radiator - it doesn't have a radaitor cap :rolleyes:. The cap on the early turbo EJ's is exclusively on the auxillery water tank. Newer turbo stuff (WRX, etc) have one on the radiator as well so you might consider one of those. Also Koyo makes an all-aluminium radiator for the early Legacy turbo that you could have a filler neck/cap added to by a radiator shop that can TIG weld. Good luck with fitment though - the Koyo is pretty thick IIRC. :)

GD

Hi This is Jerry, i have an EA81 85 hatch back with the 1.8 imperza engine. The radiatior is an early legacy and i use stock ej hoses. I made the bottom supports out of 1 1/2 x 1/4 inch flat about 6 inches long drilled a hole at one end to fit the lower rubber mount. I cut a slot in the lower support and welded the plates to the support. The top support i use the stock ej brackets cut them and welded them to fit the top of the support. The fan is mounted in front so it all fits. Thanks Jerry

Hi This is Jerry, i have an EA81 85 hatch back with the 1.8 imperza engine. The radiatior is an early legacy and i use stock ej hoses. I made the bottom supports out of 1 1/2 x 1/4 inch flat about 6 inches long drilled a hole at one end to fit the lower rubber mount. I cut a slot in the lower support and welded the plates to the support. The top support i use the stock ej brackets cut them and welded them to fit the top of the support. The fan is mounted in front so it all fits. Thanks Jerry

Pics please of your setup

You don't want the early turbo radiator - it doesn't have a radaitor cap :rolleyes:. The cap on the early turbo EJ's is exclusively on the auxillery water tank. Newer turbo stuff (WRX, etc) have one on the radiator as well so you might consider one of those. Also Koyo makes an all-aluminium radiator for the early Legacy turbo that you could have a filler neck/cap added to by a radiator shop that can TIG weld. Good luck with fitment though - the Koyo is pretty thick IIRC. :)

GD

Thats a good point, I figured it would be a bigger hassle to fill and maintain, but would also part of subaru's engineered design as im running a gen1 ej20g and waic with its own radiator and 2 speed pump. What about a gen1 n/a radiator with a dummy cap? I guess i have some research to do.

Id also like to see pics Jerry, it sounds like you hung the radiator closer to your engine.

Thanks sir, mark

Hi This is Jerry, yes the radiatior is closer to the engine but everything clears and i have about 2 inches of clearence. My subie is under 7 inches of snow and it's still snowing i hate that white crap. Thanks Jerry

haha, was just speaking with my folks in your area, their tired of the snow and ice too

I have been in the very slow process of putting the EJ22T radiator into my RX. I got it with my swap, radiator is new as well, which is why I decided to go with it. Will get upgraded again eventually. I still need fans and to finish up the core support with the mounts but it seems to fit in there fairly nice. I modified the bottom of the core support to make room for the bigger radiator. The factory radiator sits on top of a boxed base so I cut the top and back side off of the "box" and dropped the radiator down another 2" or so. Then drilled some holes the size of the EJ22 radiator bushings so it would drop down another 1/2" I did this after i took the pics and I'm working on a way to make a support over the top of the radiator to keep it sturdy. I've also been toying with the idea of making a V-mount radiator and FMIC install as well but when I get more time to work on it, I'll keep designing it:rolleyes:

2880774930067339125S500x500Q85.jpg

2879226500067339125S500x500Q85.jpg

I'm planning on reinforcing the top with the original piece I cut out and making it so the center is removable for removing of the radiator. I've also been toying with the idea of doing fender bracing and a few other bracing. This car has plans to eventually do some road racing. My girlfriend is excited to do some racing too:banana:

There might be a slight cage involved later down the road too:slobber:

Nice work, fits well.

Doesn't you weaken the body by cutting out that piece of framework where now your radiator sits?

I've mounted my EJ radiator just behind that metal strip and installed a double fan in front of there.

Sounds like you hung yours off the core support towards the engine like Jerry did, how much clearance did you end up with?

I'm planning on reinforcing the top with the original piece I cut out and making it so the center is removable for removing of the radiator. I've also been toying with the idea of doing fender bracing and a few other bracing. This car has plans to eventually do some road racing. My girlfriend is excited to do some racing too:banana:

There might be a slight cage involved later down the road too:slobber:

Looking good, and be sure to post some pics of your finished core support.