Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 sp dual range, stuck in 4wd

xman

Guys, i need your help. I did a 5 speed swap into my 86 Brat. Everything fit up right with Jerry's kit. Now the transmission seems to be stuck in 4wd. The 4wd shift lever will not move. The rod will not slide in and out of the transmission. The rod is stuck in the position completely inside the transmission and it is definitely in 4wd.

Is this terminal and i should look for another transmission, or can i get this one freed up somehow? Thanks.

I doubt it is terminal. Is it stuck in 4 hi or 4 lo? Are all of your tires the same size? I would first try jacking it up so you get all 4 tires off the ground. Takes pressure off the drive train. Run it through first and second (engine running) and then into neutral. While it's coasting down, try to take it out of 4wd. If that doesn't work, check all of your links underneath (which you really should do first. My bad...) to make sure something isn't hitting or snagging. Try prying directly on the link to get it out. If it is something internal, it's not a big deal, the 4wd housing is easy to remove and parts are readily available. The only thing is, you're going to have to get it out of 4wd one way or another to get the housing off.

Yeah, I already tried relieving the pressure to see if it was torque bind, it's not. I spoke to Jerry and will be pulling the transmission back out to try a couple things before I start opening it up to get in deeper. Probably not terminal, but will take some more labor on my part. Thanks.

I had the same problem in my hatch forever ago. Take the 4wd lever stuff off, then crawl under the car and rotate the shaft coming out of the transmission 180 degrees then put everything back together. It sounds like the exact same thing and I'm pretty sure this will fix you problem. :)

Brilliant!! I was lying under there on Saturday contemplating trying that, but have to pull the driveshaft for clearance to get my big hands up there to pull out the bolt I put in there when I lost the OEM pin. I will give it a try for sure. Thanks.

It runs, it drives. It was the 4WD actuator rod was turned 180 degrees. I pulled the driveshaft, unhooked the 4WD shift lever and turned the actuator rod and it pushed in and out of the gearbox like it should. Put it all back together and it drives. Still a bit of torque bind, but i think I can work that out. I hope. Time to get it smogged and start driving it to determine if it is reliable enough to daily drive, then ensure it can go all the way out and back to a rally for recce in 2011.

Thanks for the help everyone.