Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Weber Adapter and Coolant

I've got a Weber DGV swap with the Redline adapter kit in my 1986 EA82. It's been sucking coolant into the intake tract from the opening just under the carb.

Upon further inspection it seems that the adapter only extends about 1/16" past that opening on the intake side, not leaving very much compressed gasket. The coolant just bled right through the paper of the gasket and into the intake.

Anybody else had trouble with this before? Any fixes? I ordered a different gasket material and will be making new gaskets to see if that helps.

Let me Tell you that, when I Did my First Weber Swap on my EA82 Wagon, I Took the intake Manyfold to the Machine Shop to make the Surface as Flat as Possible; so it helps to the Plate & Gasket to cover and hold better there.

Also I Ordered to ReDrill the Screw's Size to Fit the Bigger Screws that came with the Weber Kit for the EA82.

it haven't Failed nor Leaked Coolant in Almost five Years of Rude Use.

Maybe my Li'l Secret is that I Unplugged the Tiny Coolant Hose that goes to that Opening at the intake Manyfold, and Closed the intake Opening. ;)

For Pictures of that Procedures, Click on my Avatar.

Kind Regards.

The Redline adapter kit for my e81 was awful, nothing fit, the gaskets were not anywhere close to the right size. The coolant went right down the intake and out on the driveway. I went to the part store and got a teeny tiny steel plug and tapped into the hole on the manifold to seal off the coolant, and got some material to cut my own gaskets since they do not have any with the kit that fit. It's after you shell out the big money for the kit that they tell you nothing really fits. Once you get it all together you should enjoy it more. Good Luck.

I've got a Weber DGV swap with the Redline adapter kit in my 1986 EA82. It's been sucking coolant into the intake tract from the opening just under the carb.

Upon further inspection it seems that the adapter only extends about 1/16" past that opening on the intake side, not leaving very much compressed gasket. The coolant just bled right through the paper of the gasket and into the intake.

Anybody else had trouble with this before? Any fixes? I ordered a different gasket material and will be making new gaskets to see if that helps.

Hey ben, did your redline kit come with all the appropriate throttle linkages? I have someone who got a weber for an 86 honda accord and the redline kit and he has asked me to help him install it. I have been short for time, so maybe you can help him, as he would pay, if you have the time and since you now have experience with weber.

maybe you could use some JB weld to block off or narrow down the coolant passages at the base of the manifold

So that coolant outlet there has no function with the new carb? I wasn't sure if it came in through the hose to supply the old carb or if coolant actually flows from the manifold to the hose there. If it's redundant with the Weber i'll just block the hose...

Fox - Throttle setup with the EA82 was easy - just re-used the pulley from the Crapachi on the Weber. Cable snaps in, you're good to go. Might not work on other makes of car though.

So that coolant outlet there has no function with the new carb? ...

Yep, You're Right.

The Original Purpose of that Coolant Line at the intake was to Keep Warm the Carb. Some People said that it is to Prevent Ice on Cold Weather ... other People said it is intended to Aid (Somehow) the Cat making a Warm intake...

Well... it is Not Needed with the Weber, Anymore.

Kind Regards.

Took the hose from the carb coolant outlet and plugged it - turned the engine over a couple times w/out carb or adapter on and coolant bubbled out of the opening even without the hose. So it looks like the hose was not the coolant supply?

New gaskets are in and don't leak air, but I can't tell if it's burning coolant anymore or not. The cold weather here means there's water vapor coming out the tailpipe most of the time regardless!

• Like 1

I had this problem on my EA82 Weberized 1987. I used OEM gaskets and pushed the plates/gaskets around until they overlapped as much as possible. It's been fine ever since.

Also, you could just make a block-off plate out of aluminium and put it at the very bottom of the stack with an extra OEM intake gasket. That would solve the coolant/intake problem and would be a clean solution, still allowing coolant to circulate through the manifold as it was designed.

...coolant bubbled out of the opening even without the hose. So it looks like the hose was not the coolant supply? ...

Yes, The Coolant Flows Thru the intake Manyfold; so the Hose isn't the Direct Supply, but Removin' that tiny Hose Actually Helps to Reduce Coolant Pressure Right at that Point.

Kind Regards.

Also, you could just make a block-off plate out of aluminium...QUOTE]

Not a bad idea... but 4 gaskets seems like too much to go wrong to me. I'm not real happy with the three I have.

Maybe I should just machine a new adapter. My brother has one on his '82 Corolla that's one piece of cast aluminum - sortof an I shape in profile. You can access all the fasteners without disassembling the whole damn thing to tighten them.

True, more gaskets suck, but most of the weber-ed ea82's with power steering have to put the plastic spacer plate from the old carb in there, anyways, to give rise to clear the PS. I guess you could make a really thick spacer to replace it and double as a block off. Like 1/2" material.

I never did that... but I've Learned here, on USMB; that Some people just Bent the Reservoir for Power Steerin' Fluid, in order to make more Room for the Weber's Choke.

Others had installed the Weber Backwards, in order to have the Choke facin' the Cab, not the Car's Front.

I Just removed the Choke... it's Not Needed at the Caribbean Tropics where I Live...

Kind Regards.

I ball-peened my ps reservoir, too. Out here in CO it's 10 deg F in the night and 60 in the day, so the choke definitely does a good job. In the morning it still needs to start twice if it's been that cold. In the summer it revs right up without any gas pedal (after the first push to set the choke up). I guess you could do it either way. I just chose to use a spacer and modify the ps stuff...

Anyways, if one is to need clearance and wants to block off their carb coolant passage in the manifold, then one could kill two birds with one stone and make a tall spacer/block off plate. I like the idea of keeping the coolant flowing openly throughout the manifold area since it helps keep fuel vaporized on it's way to the combustion chamber. Maybe that's why these engines don't flood easily - BUT they have that dang coolant leaking into the intake problem...

ON SUBJECT, I found that the OEM gaskets were thicker (as discussed all over this forum) and they covered that 1/16" displacement between the plates a little better than the crappy aftermarket or red-line gaskets.