Ultimate Subaru Message Board

spfi 1400?

What about a 1400 from somewhere else on the planet? They made those engines way past what we got here in the USA.

Does a 1400 SPFI exist already in some place like Isreal ?

I know I do still want to make a 1600 SPFI someday and was wondering the same about those. I'd guess those are still running somewhere (1600's) with SPFI , I hope.

EJ 1.6 ??? mmmmm , that'd be nice!

Subaru Continued the Production of EA Engines up to 1994.

Sharin' some info: here in Latin America, the Subaru Body Known in USA as "Loyale" came factory with the Followin' engines:

Sedan DL: 1.3L (EA65) on FWD and 1.6L (EA71) on 4WD

Wagon DL: 1.6L (EA71) on FWD and 4wd. The 1.8L (EA81) on 4WD DL's was an Option.

Sedan GL: 1.6L (EA71) on FWD and 1.8L (EA81) on 4WD. The 1.8L (EA82) was an Option.

Wagon GL: 1.8L (EA81) on FWD and 4WD. The 1.8L (EA82) on Both FWD and 4WD was an Option.

Luxury GL10: 1.8L (EA82T) Turbo, both Sedan or Wagon.

So here were available those engines in the Subaru Lineup Untill 1995... not only in that Body Shape but also in the Hatchback (Except the EA82 for that Body)

You can Confirm the EA Series Engine Production, Here.

Latin America has the Same Options that Subaru offered in Asia and Australia... Not Sure about Europe; but in USA the "Loyale" went with Factory EA82, but some few ones Went there with Factory EA81 engines too.

About the EFi in those EA engines: Subaru only offered it first in the EA81T (Turbo) and then in the EA82 but as an Option, because the Buyer was able to Choose if the car's engine came with Carburetor or Not. That was mere a Price factor, 'cos no Pollution artifacts, like Cathalytic converters are needed here.

That "Carb or EFi" option Lasted up to the Legacy lineup (with EJ engines) Let me Explain: First gen of Legacy came to Honduras in Late 1988 as 1989 Model, the EJ engines came with Stock Carburetor and Distribuitor up to the 1994 model.

EJ22Carbed.gif?t=1293120027

Then, the EFi was an Option too...

Kind Regards.

Here, the impreza comes with 1.5L (EJ15) and 1.6L (EJ16) engines on the Basic Sedan or Wagon.

That's encouraging! Thanks for your help!

Were there any revisions to the 1300 for fuel intake or were they carbureted right up to the end of production?

So the EA63 is really a 1300? From previous research by other members I thought they said the EA64 was a dual carb'd 1400 from non USA markets.

To me it makes sense that they dropped the 1400 and continued with the more reliable 1300.

Believe me... I've Tried to Help other USMB friends in the Past to obtain those parts and, I Found that Subaru Discontinued certain Parts for that EJ engines, such as Distribuitors... in order to Avoid Hijack this Thread and to give you Further info, Please Read here:

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101887&page=3

Kind Regards.

I Found This, about an SPFi EA71... I Know it is not the 1400 engine buy Might be Useful info:

I have an spfi intake that fits an EA71. PM me if you want it. It came off a Japanese import engine.

There were some oddities in engines made for other markets - there very well could have been an SPFI EA71 somewhere in the world. They made EJ series engines with distributors in some places, and they did make EA82 body cars with EA71 engines in some parts of the world, although I thought they were carbed - I think there was a guy from Barbados with a loyale such as this on the board for a while.

Hard to say, but If you have it then you have it - no way around the fact that it was made, and fits. Only possible conclusion is there existed at some time, in some place, a fuel injected EA71..... it also may have been some sort of special raceing peice from japan.

EA82 SPFI fits on the EA81 and it's hard to believe that it was never used on it.... I would venture to guess that Subaru created the SPFI before the EA82 came to the US. It's like the rear disc brakes - they came on EA82T's here in the states but will bolt to the EA81 because it's a design that was not changed, and DID exist on JDM EA81 RX's, and JDM race spec vehicles. It's clearly listed on the literature here on the board as factory equipment on the EA81 RX models.

GD

• 3 weeks later...