Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2007 Tribeca key won't turn, wheel NOT locked

The 2007 tribeca seems to have a multitude of unusual problems that no other year or model has, and this may be one of them. The car was running fine, no strange sounds or wiggles. I parked and ran into the store. Literally two minutes later I came back, put the key in the ignition, and it would not move. The steering wheel has a full range of motion, so it can't be locked. The car IS all the way in park. There is a remote start which was able to start the car after this frozen tumbler business, so it isn't dead.

I don't know if this helps either, but the brake is very stiff and won't press to the floor. (This being new with the key not turning). If I can't fix this then I can't go home for christmas (and obviously no mechanic will help till after) so any and all tips tricks or vague theories will be greatly appreciated.

The brake pedal is normal for a parked car that has no vacuum in the booster servo. Does the pedal feel return to normal once the is engine running?

The steering lock not engaging points to a lock cylinder problem. Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of the intricacies of the ignition locks on the newer models. I don't know if it's a transponder issue with the car not recognizing the key, or if there is some mechanical linkage that is just jammed or maybe broken. I wouldn't usually recommend excessive force, but you might try turning it harder. Just try not to break the key off in the lock.

Hopefully it doesn't ruin your Christmas. :-\

I compiled a huge list of potential solutions, got a ride to my car, and the first thing I did was put the never-used spare key in. It turned with no wiggling of anything required!! So the world is a beautiful place, and if either of you hear of such madness again, the spare key is almost certainly the solution! (I'm wary of a world where a key wears out in 3 years. That car only has 200k.)

(Hank you so much for the effort and thought you put into helping me! It's a beautiful world where a stranger with nothing to gain wants to help someone out of the goodness of their heart. :) :) merry christmas and god bless!!

Edited by fanofmydesign

(Hank you so much for the effort and thought you put into helping me! It's a beautiful world where a stranger with nothing to gain wants to help someone out of the goodness of their heart. :) :) merry christmas and god bless!!

Thats the way we roll!

I compiled a huge list of potential solutions, got a ride to my car, and the first thing I did was put the never-used spare key in. It turned with no wiggling of anything required!! So the world is a beautiful place, and if either of you hear of such madness again, the spare key is almost certainly the solution! (I'm wary of a world where a key wears out in 3 years. That car only has 200k.)

Well, seeing as the 2005-6 and newer models have the immobilizer system, maybe the battery on that key went dead (although, I thought the immobilizer system keys didn't have batteries at all so....).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_(lock)#Transponder_key

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immobiliser

Edited by Manarius

It would be a good idea to copy the spare key and use the copy for daily use, while keeping the original nice and crispy for another reproduction should you need it.

Nope. Get an original key made by a dealer using the Vin number. Cops can wear faster then OE.