Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have searched and have found that either the switch on the brake or the switch on the shift button is not working or I have a sticky mechanism in the console so here is my question. I can hear the switch activate on the shift lever button but am I suppose to hear a relay when I hit the brake pedal? The brake lights work and the car will shift out of park after a few minutes once the car has warmed up. Didnt start doing this until it turned cold. Also I have read about a emergency button but I am not clear on what I have to remove to see it or apply it to release the shifter, Like I said I dont hear a relay activate when I hit the brakes but I do have brake lights. Is there 2 switches on the brake pedal I can see the one clearly and it isnt stuck so I am thinking that there might be a problem with the one in the console even though I can hear it activate,

Release button is hidden by a black plug.

From memory. Basically to the right on the "P" on that piece of plastic that the clear gear selection is shown in. Take out the plug (1/4-3/8") and just push a screwdriver in there. This will let the shifter release.

Someone who has done this recently perhaps will add/correct.

In mine you actually have to remove the trim from around the shifter.. a small/thin screw driver works fine for this.. it just pops out.. then a normal or long phillips screw driver or the blunt end of a bic pen or pencil will hit the button down in the hole.

With the ignition off, Check all your fuses. Uses a fuse puller and pull them out and look at them for being blown.

The push button on the shifter pushes over and then push down.. you can take the shifter off and just try pushing on the "down" part and see if that helps. If you try this, be careful not to lose your springs/slides in the shifter handle.

If neither of those things makes a difference I would go ahead and replace the brake pedal safety switch.

You might consider crawling around underneath the car to see if all the shift linkage is still in tact. Especially look for loose/missing nuts and bolts and pins.

Sounds like a sticky solenoid. If you've ever spilled a drink in the center console that can do it.

Pull the shifter trim up and find the brake solenoid and hit it with some lithium grease and hit the pedal a few times to get it worked in. If that doesn't free it up removing it and cleaning it with electronics cleaner then regreasing might fix it.

Could also be a bad shift cable. They can get water in them when the rubber ends get old and crack. The water freezes at night and the cable seizes. Obviously a warming exhaust system under the car would eventually allow it to melt and work freely again. Replacement is the only viable option for a permanent fix if that's the case. I'd look in the shifter mechanism for trouble there first though.

After botching the replacement of my neutral safety switch I also cannot shift out of park without using the manual release.

Take off the plastic plate that is around the shifter. Above P there is a small circular hole. I put a 1/4" socket extension in it and now I can shift. At some point I got to climb under the car and fix the NSS issue.