Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'03 Forester 5MT into '96 OBW?

GeneralDisorder

Will I run into anything other than the 8 bolt vs. 4 bolt bell? I have solved that before.... will it have the threaded boss for moving the fork pivot in order to use the cable clutch fork on the '96 OBW?

Anything else I might run into? I know there are some differences in the castings but will all the exhaust brackets bolt up, etc? I've done pre-'99 5MT's (a '97 OBW tranny) into a '99 8-bolt car which worked out very well but I haven't messed with one this new.

GD

Hmm.... Check points:

- Are the diff ratios the same?

- Does the newer tranny have the axle stubs sticking out or are they integrated into the axles (which then go into the 'box)

- Can you swap the clutch fork (I believe so but not sure) or make the newer fork work with cable (as you said)

Ratio's are the same - Forester and Outback use the same ratio's and I've verified that with the tranny numbers and the gear ratio chart.

I don't know when they went to having the stub on the axle rather than the tranny. Anyone that can tell me?

The fork pivot just need to move is all - I need to know if the threaded boss is present. If it is then it can be moved and the cable fork installed.

GD