Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another parking brake cable question

The cable in my EA81 wagon died on me before I knew it was going out, and it looks like it might have killed my calipers. I have since disconnected the front cables, I am wondering are there ones for the rear? I would like to get all the parts I need before I do the big tear down on the braking system.

The cable in my EA81 wagon died on me before I knew it was going out, and it looks like it might have killed my calipers. I have since disconnected the front cables, I am wondering are there ones for the rear? I would like to get all the parts I need before I do the big tear down on the braking system.

The parking brake on EA81s only goes to the front two calipers. I'm a little surprised that one of those lines breaking would ruin your calipers, but then, I've never had my cable break, so I wouldn't really know.

Jacob

First it wasn't really a break in the cable as it was bunching up so it wouldn't release. I am getting an awful metal crunch noise from the front when I turn (and sometimes while driving straight), and a shudder in the steering wheel. I have noticed more squeak = less shudder, more shudder = less squeak. I have been stumped by this problem, and it was suggested that the bad cable may have damaged the calipers and that was causing the squeak/shudder. I am open to more suggestions on what may be causing those issues, I'd like to get this taken care off.

Sounds like wheel bearings or CV's. If the caliper is bad you would either have a mushy pedal (possibly with leakage of fluid), or it would be giving off an odor from burning brake pads, or possibly even pulling to that side if it's really stuck, etc.

The cables are probably shot - corrosion can do that. But I wouldn't jump to the idea that the calipers are bad.

Dissasemble and inspect. I think you will find bad bearings or CV's.

GD