Ultimate Subaru Message Board

real quick question on lift supports for wagon

These are the style that Autozone gave me:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Sachs-Support-Lifts/1987-Subaru-GL/_/N-iiun1Z8ii2g?counter=1&filterByKeyWord=lift+support&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=853351_0_7470_4610

Notice they have an eyelet on one end and a ball socket on the other. I dont know if i have the only Subaru in history without a ball socket on one end but, I dont have a ball socket on one end!! :-p Mine is both eyelets.

Now after some research, i may require these(they have a product number ending in 1 rather than 2, same product i think):

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Sachs-Support-Lifts/_/N-8ii2g?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=SG123001&fromString=search&isSearchByPartNumber=true&itemIdentifier=853350_0_0_

These have the correct eyelet on both ends but they are 5 mm shorter when extended and over 20mm longer when compressed... Anyone have advice here? Or maybe a store that WONT sell me the wrong lift supports?? :-\

How about NAPA? they are generally better about cross-referencing and finding vendors that are otherwise 'listed, but not available' at most chain auto stores.

Are you in an ea81 or ea82? Look for 1984 gl wagon OHV 1.8 for an ea81, or 1994 Loyale wagon OHC 1.8

These are your key words at the parts counter to not get ea81/ea82 mixed up, as there are some vague listings for 1985-1987-89 Due to Ea82 GL's, ea81 hatch, and brat were available at the same time for these years.

Gah, i always forget to say what i have. '87 turbo GL wagon. EA82 body.

Just searched the 94 Loyale and they show the same part numbers for these same eyelet/ball socket ones.

HOWEVER, these two show up when i searched '84. Winners??? The Sachs one is the one i listed in my first post that seemed like the comparable one to the eyelet/ball Sachs they gave me.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Mighty-Lift-Support-Lifts/1984-Subaru-GL/_/N-ikfqiZ8ii2g?counter=1&itemIdentifier=47260_3214_1791_

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Sachs-Support-Lifts/1984-Subaru-GL/_/N-ikfqiZ8ii2g?counter=3&itemIdentifier=853350_0_7470_4610

So, the only differences i see other than the correct mounting styles is the length. Is that slight length difference going to hurt anything? Are they similar enough to work? I dont think an '84 and '87 wagon is too different in their actual hatch setup, are they? Should i go for the Mighty Lift or Sachs also? Ive heard Sachs is a reputable name, but dont know much about Mighty Lift.

For 1987 they still list the xxxx02 part number for Sachs lift supports which has that ball socket so it wont fit on mine. Do i have an oddball one? Was the ball socket end have been swapped out for the older eyelet style or something?

Should I just order the SG123001 Sachs struts from an older GL? Every place i find has the ball socket listed for '87 and thats just not going to work. The wagon body styles are close to the same right? There arent any big differences in their dimensions are there?

I had them order me some struts for the '84 wagon, we'll see if they work.

On a side note, on this mint GL on Ebay I noticed a slight oddity...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Hotabuch/eBay%20cars/89%20SUBARU%20GL-10/IMGP1243.jpg

That has on the left what i have, the eyelet on both ends. On the other side it appears to have the ball socket type they gave me at Autozone... What the heck is going on with that?

Ok, this is just getting stupid now. They got the new ones in, i checked the lnegth and they looked ok. Not quite as long but they'll work fine.

They didnt come with new mounts... -_-

I cant see a way to mount these with the old mounts as the inserts look pressed on and unremovable. Im soon going junkyard scrounging I think. Get a used set of mounts and drill out the old studs in them. Then put in some bolts to hold the damn lift support in there... These are GOING to get on there... Someway.

I had to remove the factory mounts from the factory struts when I replaced mine.

This involved drilling out the rivet that holds it together.

The new struts came with a pin and a clip to replace the rivet. I had to re-use the mounts.

This is also what I had to do, it didn't take all that long and is well worth it to have new ones! Now my hatch doesn't fall down and give me a headache :grin: