Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 GL-10 turbo wagon questions

Hey guys,

There is a nice looking 89 Subaru GL-10 turbo wagon on ebay right now that I am interested in. I have concerns though as it is an older car with low miles,and a turbo. It is also an automatic which I am usually not a fan of,but could look past it for this car as it is really clean looking.

I remember doing some research on a Subaru RX from this vintage,and reading all sorts of bad things about the engines. Is this EA82 in the turbo wagon the same engine with the same troubles as the RX? What can I expect to go bad on a car like this in the near future,and can parts be found easy enough if it breaks? What is a fair price for this car in your opinion?

Car can be sen here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-Subaru-GL-10-AWD-WAGON-60-089-Original-LOW-Miles-/220724715913?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item336437e189

The price was $5300,but I offered $4000,and they lowered the BIN to that for 24 hrs. The car was from NM,and now is in NY. Thanks for your help.

Chris

The car can be reliable wit the right attention to maintenance. Anything bad you have read about the engien, is due to lack or or maintenance such as hoses blowing out or leaky seals. Not horrible, but the motor is 115 hp out of the box.

Don't expect it to break right away. Folks will tell you to do an ej22 swap. This car has the right diameter axles and the dip in the crossmember to fit impreza trans and turbo engines.

Don't expect to be able to mod this car, but it can be great as it is.

5000 is way too much for that cat. You can buy a restored brat for that cost. Rust free in the northeast is good, though. But a car this clean out west with miles on it can be had for a few hundred bucks.

This car with low miles should not cost more than 2500

If you are buying this car to do a swap, you can get a non runner for 200 bucks, and save the 5000 dollars and get wrx motor and driveline.

This is the same ea82t engine from any turbo gl/loyale from 85-94.

What bad have you read about the rx engine? Anything you would have read bad about the RX engine would be related to overboosting. Some folks here have put a lot of time and effort, trial and error to squeezing power out of the ol' ea82t. But as a result of that, we now know its parameters, and you can get a little more out of it without compromising reliability. The main flaw by design with this engine is the heads, which are based of any other ea82 engine, but with dual ports. All in all, it seems that the ea82 should not have been a turbo by desighn, and they put 7.7:1 compression in them vs 9.0 and 9.5 in carb and spfi versions. The ea82 overseas were tuned to 135 frm the factory out of the box.

This engine does not like boost modifications, but there are successful mods using the right parts, but by all means, this is an engine you mix and match for, since there is NO AFTERMARKET bolt- on part.

This engine can go 300,000 miles with good care.

Oh, to answer your first question again, the engine is the same as any other ea82 turbo in the rx, gl turbo, and gl-10 if you need specific parts. Timing belts, water pumps, and steering/alt/ac are common between all variants.

Body and suspension parts are common between all variants/sedans/wagons/coupe/xt. Aside from this car being the cleanest gl-10 turbo ever, you can get parts for it the same as a rusted out 200 dollar gl sedan.

again, 5000 is way too much for this car. A car this clean with as low miles should be preserved as a classic. If you do get this car, please, keep it very nice so the next generation can see an old subaru at a classic car show!

If you are into it for a project, pick a less immaculate candidate.

And please, dont's take anyone's opinions one way or the other too seriously as your decision to buy this car(or one like it) but rather go by doing your researc (as there is a lot to read!) to make your decision.

Edited by MilesFox

$4K is a lot of money but this is a lot of car. Had a 90 turbo wagon that had 0ver 300K miles on it when I sold it. They can run for a long time regardless of what some folks say. Car also has the 4EAT transmission, which is great, and almost certainly has the rear LSD. In my experience an old radiator will cause more engine problems than just about anything else. Also this engine will have the generation lll cylinder heads which means less likely to crack.

If I was in the market for another wagon, I would seriously consider this cream puff.