Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Brat oil leak and clicking sound

My 85 Brat, auto tranny, about 110k miles recently started a brief, slight rattle upon startup, and then followed my a light ticking, maybe piston slap??

This engine has hydraulic lifters and otherwise seems to be in really good condition. All of this noise started after the weather turned really cold. I am running 10w30 dino oil. I even changed the oil and added a little Lucas Oil Stabilizer, which did reduce the noise a little and shorten the time of the rattle on cold. dry startup.

Once the engine warms up it is pretty quiet.

I know you guys cannot hear the noise, but I'd welcome any suggestions / comments.

Also, I have a small oil leak above the oil filter, that I'd like to repair.

No valve cover leaks.

Tonyp

Unionville, NC

I will get a seal kit for the oil pump and try that.

I did fail to mention that I have really good oil pressure, 70 psi on startup and about 50 to 60 when cruising down the road.

Tony P

Unionville, NC

1985 Brat

Auto

Needs:

Rollbar

Pushbar

14" Pugs

I'll be the first of many to tell you that the oil pressure gauge is not the most accurate. Generally showing near ) psi when warm , usually.

There is a pinch bolt on the crank case just above the oil pump. Make sure to loosen this bolt to prevent breaking the tabs off of the 0il pump when trying to pry it out.