Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I buy this Subaru Impreza?

My boss has this 93' Subaru Impreza Wagon for sale. It has a little less than 100,000 miles on it and he's asking $1700. He did maintenance on this car for many years and bought if from a customer. All it needs mechanically it seems is a Timing Belt. There is some rust above one of the rear wheels. Other than that the interior and engine are in good condition.

It seems like a good car, but I have some reservations. When I took it on a test drive it was shifting in the 3,000rpm range or higher. The engine also felt underpowered. Is this normal for Subarus? I hear Timing Belts on boxer engines can be tricky. Is that true?

Edited by mgold

This would probably be a 1.8, better for fuel economy. Timing belt is reatively simple on this model. Less complicated than older models, and no chance for error like newer models.

It is natural for a subaru engine to run best in the 2500-4500 rpm range, due to its short stroke.

timing belt is really easy on subaru's, nothing to it. every other vehicle is transverse mounted annoyance to change a timing belt. get the ebay kits so you can replace all the pulleys as well, they won't be in good shape by this age and the ebay kits are awesome cheap.

the under powered is because it's an EJ18 and automatic probably.

if it's an auto then have the transmission fluid changed.

that car isn't very desirable and prices are rather low so i wouldn't call that a killer deal, but if it really is well maintained and in good shape it would certainly be an inexpensively reliable vehicle.

it should be good for an easy 100,000 more miles rather cheaply.

of course you konw the rust won't get any better, but in maryland it's just a once and done inspection anyway.

My friend who has owned a number of Subarus told me Timing Belts can be hard. I don't know what years and models he's owned though. Currently he has a Forester.

Yeah it's 1.8 liter and an Automatic. The driving dynamics on it are better than most cars you'll find in it's class though.

The rust issue is something to think about. It would be something I'd want tot take care of. I'd probably try to fix it myself.

I feel like the asking price is a little high too. I can probably negotiate a little bit. What do Subaru people think is a reasonable price to offer?

I personally wouldnt buy the vehicle not because it may not be in the best of shape or because of the rust or the asking price I personally think the asking price is fine and minor rust is no big deal and timing belts depending on your level of knowledge can be a pain or not but I wouldnt buy it based on that it belongs to your boss if somthing goes wrong if he is your friend more then what he is telling you and it sounds like there might be somthing he isnt telling you then your going to be upset with him but you still have to work with him all the time he is your boss after all and if he is your friend your going to feel cheated so better to save your friend/work relationship and buy somthing from somone you dont know from my own personal experience

Timing belt if you plan on having someone else do it, will run you $1000 to $2000 more. Added to the high cost of the car at $1700, it doesn't sound like a great deal to me. The Impreza is a fine model and I'm really fond of mine ('97 that just passed 200K miles), but I'd pass on your boss's car and wait for a better deal.

Offer 1200 for the car, and offer 300 for someone to install anew belt, or take the effort to do the belt yourself. Otherwise, offer 1500-1700(book value) if your boss had the timing belt done for you.

Timing belt needs replaced, but is not broke,. It may last another 25,000 miles. If it's not broken already, it's not broken. And, there will be no damage if it does let go.

What type of gas mileage could I expect to get from this car? What are problem areas these Subaru Imprezas have?

I'd probably do the Timing Belt myself, with help from my bosses possibly. If it needed anything else I think he would tell me. I trust him.

I thought the same thing about buying a car from my boss. It's like the saying "Don't s$%^ where you eat!" It's hard to find a car though that's in good condition and has been maintained properly. I could wait for a customer who wants to sell a car.

You could expect to have to do an axle or wheel bearing as regular maintenance. Other than that, its plug wires and and fluid changes.

Do the cam seals at least while you are doing the belt. The work is very easy, but just different than what you are used to(cars other than subaru)