Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much trouble am i in?

Ok, i have the motor, ecu and harness out of i belive a 94 turbo legacy sedan. could be older.

The ecu spent the last few months under water (leaky garage roof). not sure if the ecu still works. i used a whole can of lectro-motive and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. i pluged it into my mother in laws 91 n/a and tryed to start it as a test. the car didn't start but backfired a few times.

My question is... Is the turbo ecu supposed to start the 91 na legacy?, everything plugged right in as the stock ecu did but im not sure if the drowned one normally would start it at least at idle, or maybe run rough or somthing. i also tryed a na ecu with a different number than the one in the legacy and it started it.

turbo ecu, "E8" 22611 AA691 (bacfired on test car)

spare n/a ecu, "B8" 22611 AA382 (started but would not idle, reved fine)

ecu in test car, 91 legacy na, "E7" 22611 AA563 (original to test vehicle)

If the turbo ecu "E8" should't start a 91 legacy then is there anyone with a turbo legacy also using the E8 ecu willing to plug mine in and let me know if it works? i'll ship it to anywhere i need to and back and willing to pay whatever ya want to plug it in and let me know.

If i determin that my turbo ecu is no good is it possible to run a turbo 2.2 with the non turbo B8 ecu or will i need to find another ecu from a turbo legacy?

2011-01-19_21-17-26_159-1.jpg?t=12955691

where as they have the same plug setup the internals are alot different. Left is my spare n/a "B8" ecu and right is the turbo ecu "E8" that was drowned.

Chim.

Edited by CHIM

It is my understanding that the turbo and non turbo's are not the same ecu harnesses meaning certain sensors are crossed over to other pins so I doubt it would start. Regardless don't be to worried, wire it all up try the ecu if it's a no go, just get another ecu.

Either way though you can easily get ahold of another ecu off legacycentral NO problem for cheap.

Just a note on electronics and water. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, electronics and water mix just fine, as long as there is no electrical current. The only problem is when a lot of buildup occurs due to the stuff in the water. As long as no electricity is applied while things are wet, they are just fine. For instance i wash my keyboards in the dishwasher. Causes no problems, as long as i wait for them to dry before using them. This is true of all electronics. Drop your phone in water, pull the battery and it might live. An ecu submerged and cleaned should probably work just fine, as long as you cleaned it well enough and didn't apply any power while it was still wet.

Clean it up well and i think it should be good... but that's just opinion, never soaked an ECU, only computer related things, but an ECU is a computer...

Just a note on electronics and water. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, electronics and water mix just fine, as long as there is no electrical current. The only problem is when a lot of buildup occurs due to the stuff in the water. As long as no electricity is applied while things are wet, they are just fine. For instance i wash my keyboards in the dishwasher. Causes no problems, as long as i wait for them to dry before using them. This is true of all electronics. Drop your phone in water, pull the battery and it might live. An ecu submerged and cleaned should probably work just fine, as long as you cleaned it well enough and didn't apply any power while it was still wet.

Clean it up well and i think it should be good... but that's just opinion, never soaked an ECU, only computer related things, but an ECU is a computer...

Thats kinda what i was thinking, now if i can find someone to test it for me...

• 2 weeks later...