Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So...Im having a crazy thought for a future build...

aaronxs400

Ive had these thoughts filling my head for about a week now. Maybe when I get my new job I can go ahead with this plan...

Car will be based on my 83 GL Wagon

EJ22/25 frakenmotor,

5 Speed D/R

Nissan 720 transfer case

Heres where it gets crazy:

Ford 8.8 IRS Rear diff in the rear, full double a-arm suspension, 97+ f150 4wd front spindle/brakes (yes, front spindles on the rear), custom axles, 12-14 inches of travel

Ford 8.8 IRS Rear diff in the FRONT, full double a-arm suspension, 97+ f150 4wd front spindle/brakes,custom axles 12-14 inches of travel

31 inch tires

Full Cage

Truck and Trailer to haul it to the Baja 1000.

not really crazy.been thought about , done with, and built with different components before , and currently being worked on as well.......

but, there is not a class for it in the 1000.

and, if you can't afford to do it right, it can turn into a nightmare really fast.just sayin.cheers, b

I have most the tools I need, and plenty of time. If i go to a junkyard (pry go to pullapart) i can get most everything from the yards for $400-500. Plus all my materials and such. I think i can do it for under $1k.

so, just out of curiousity , what other fab type projects have you done?cheers, b

73227_1679859913806_1156791727_1818510_8155823_n.jpg

25817_115439581811332_100000358716542_172702_4649796_n.jpg

I can do basic fabrication. this is my 8 second hayabusa, stock engine, chrome moly frame, 360lbs. i did not do the machine work but I was present for every step of the process, learning as much as I could. I spent several weeks at Lincoln's welding school, were I got my certificate in welding 4130. Bought a lincoln percision tig 225. Found a Pro-tools hydraulic bender with 4 dies for $500 on craigslist. Just bought a house several months ago, been busy remodeling and getting the dragbike ready for 2011 season.

I know it wasnt out of curiosity, it was to see if I was just blowing smoke or if I knew what I am getting myself into. I can weld and do basic fab works. I learn as I go. If its not right you rebuild it. This project may never happen, as the dragbike will always be my number 1 focus. If any machine work needs to be done, it would be done my a friend of mine from michigan, he is a master machinist and does alot of fab work on drag cars. So if I decide to do this, I have the resources.

And I do believe I can do it for under 1k...well, maybe slightly more. I already have all the tubing I need to build the aarms and some of the subframes. I get 1.25 .120 wall tubing for free from my father in law. At the Pull-A-Parts i can get spindle with rotor and caliper for $36.19. Rear Diff for $60, Axles for $25. Besides the OEM parts ill need some steering components, misc. steel, probably run Johnny joints at the pivot points, looking at uniballs for the balljoints.

But yes, this will be my first big fab project. But you gotta start somewhere right?

Edited by aaronxs400

not really crazy.been thought about , done with, and built with different components before , and currently being worked on as well.......

but, there is not a class for it in the 1000.

and, if you can't afford to do it right, it can turn into a nightmare really fast.just sayin.cheers, b

Would still like to see some pictures or links to build threads of these cars.

search Godzirra...that one is close enough to you, it might behoove you to try and visit the guy..

and i have some pics i can load up later from when i was designing a setup using EJ items......

I am a beginner as well, just come across alot of folks that seem to have big dreams without any knowledge of how much it will take to achieve them.

nice 'busa....

the 1.25 120 wall is a bit small for cage work by basic standards.way more triangulation would be needed i think.which adds more weight , etc, you know the drill......if it was DOM it would be strong enough though..i have been using 1.5 120 wall DOM for my stuff.....alot of pro competition buggies use 1.5 120 wall DOM nowadays....

cheers

Edited by monstaru

I completely understand. Heck, i dont even know if this will happen. Itd be awesome though. I would build the cage out of at least 1.5, id just have to get a die for my bender, biggest I have is 1.25. I will use the 1.25 tubing for the a-arms and the subframes for the diffs and a-arm mounts.

My plan is actually to build subframes that house the diffs and have the pivots for the a-arm mounts, and these subframes would bolt to stock mount locations. The front and rear subframes would then be tied together. basically bolting the subaru body on the subframes. Cage would pry only happen if i decided to race, an exocage would be awesome though.

Hopefully this project can happen when I get my new job. Still in the planning stages right now, i need to get some dimensions on factory 28 spline ford cv axles and figure out if i can use an off the shelf axle or need to extend one to get the travel I want.

I will keep you guys updated.

Arron thats badass i have ben thinking useing a transfer case outa like a samari and still deciding on the front end but right now im to wrap'd up in lifting my legacy a foot so i have room but i allso wana see how it is with stock drivetrain be4 i go crazy guna try to bust that out this weekend at my fab shop ill have to post pictures but if you move along with your build def keep us updated i'd like to see how it goes and what designs you come up with

Having been part of 3 Baja 1000 teams I would recommend getting the rule book and building to the regulations. It would suck to travel all the way down to Ensenada and find out you can't play because you failed tech.

Yes, there are a tremendous amount of classes that you can be in, but even the most basic class has very specific safety and modification rules.

There is a class running the 2.5 outback engine, rear mount, they are pretty wild.

423505351_LzxRf-L-2.jpg

Vibration will be your biggest foe on the course, not heat, speed, impact other drivers, Vibration kills everything, batteries, connections, hoses, engines.

thanks for the link! Can I ask what your specs are for the build? what diffs, transfer case, what are your plans for the suspension, tire size?

I seen a caption of one of your photos, said you were not happy about how low the diff is...how much ground clearance do you expect at the diff?

thanks for the link! Can I ask what your specs are for the build? what diffs, transfer case, what are your plans for the suspension, tire size?

I seen a caption of one of your photos, said you were not happy about how low the diff is...how much ground clearance do you expect at the diff?

me?

you should post up pics of what your building, id like to see a 12 inch lifted legacy

OH i will do and ive decided 8ich overal lift instead of 12 thats to much extra work lengthening all the connections under the hood but im pshyced im starting friday and plan/have to be done by sunday got most the parts built already but i have to wait till teardown to design some parts you know