Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Was considering getting aftermarket foglamps to replace the OEM ones on my wagon. I have a 2002, so i'm not exactly sure what set would work well. My other thought is that since my current lamps aren't broken at all, putting a brighter bulb in them might be a better, cheaper idea? Should i just do bulbs, if not can anyone recommend lights that fit that hole. I'm strongly considering just the bulbs if i can get a a bull-bar made for my car, where i could mount a pair of driving lights, and fog lights. So, thoughts?

Also, i've read about the wires being setup backwards or something, the hot wire is always on, the negative turns them on or something? How difficult is it to wire them in then?

I'd want fogs hooked up to oem fogs switch, and driving lights hooked to high beams. Was thinking rectangular fog lights if i go for ones to mount to a bullbar.

I am thinking that driving lights can not be wired up to existing wiring to headlights. Driving lights pull some strong amps that the existing headlight switch, wiring, and fuse system are not designed to handle the higher amperage pull. New wiring, in line fuse, and dash mounted switch is the way to wire up driving lights.

You could hang a set of driving lights off your headlights by using a pair of relays.

Source primary voltage directly from the battery. Obviously, don't forget to use a fuse. Connect this to pin 30 on your relays. Connect the positive lead from the light to pin 87A on the relay. Cut or cap pin 87 on the relay for safety.

Use a high quality t-tap, such as a ScotchLok , to tap the headlight wire you're looking for (i.e. high beam or low beam wire). Connect this to pin 85. From pin 86, fish the wire back into the cabin. Add a switch and then ground the wire.

This will let you run the driving lights off the headlights, but will also let you turn them off by denying ground to the relays whenever you want.

I am thinking that driving lights can not be wired up to existing wiring to headlights. Driving lights pull some strong amps that the existing headlight switch, wiring, and fuse system are not designed to handle the higher amperage pull. New wiring, in line fuse, and dash mounted switch is the way to wire up driving lights.

Just wanted to use the highbeams or fog light switch as a trigger to turn them on. They'd still draw main current from the battery, just using the current on the highbeam/fog to activate them.

Scooby: that's the info i wanted :)

If you are looking for more Lumens (brighter lights), perhaps you should consider an HID upgrade. Just a thought.

Well i plan on sticking a bullbar or something of that nature on the front end of my car, i'm going to add some supplemental lighting while i am at it. Driving and fogs lights, hence the relay question. I Figured 25$ on some quality 55w halogen bulbs for now might not be a bad investment until i get the bar made for me and install the lamps. I really dislike HID xenon lights, they really suck in snow imo, i want a yellowish tint.

Just for clarification, there is a difference between driving lights and fog lights

driving - narrow beam, long range

fog - wide beam, low aim, short range but wide

As for places to get aftermarket fog lights, perhaps TireRack might have something you might want, or you could do a bit of research here

http://www.tirerack.com/lighting/index.jsp

Oh, and +1 on the yellow tint, it's theoretically better for use in fog and other inclement weather.

you can use a relay to turn on driving lights with the high beam. On the light side, you can run power from positive battery, through the relay, to the lights, then to ground.

To trip the relay, run pos from the battery to the relay, and ground it at the high beam pin on the headlight harness.

The ehadlights do ground at the switch. if you poke a test lite at all 3 terminals of the bilb, they will show hot. The switch grounds the bulbs. use this ground at the headlight terminal to activate the relay.

For driving lights i might do HID, for fogs, deffinitly halogen. Was planning on having a set of each. I can do some pretty serious offroading at a place near me, but they close at 5pm so a full set of roof lights seems over the top. Noticing you are in my area MilesFox (well, i'm about 2 hours from milwaukee) you might have to show me some trails up there in wisconsin. I know there are a lot up north from logging..

I wouldnt's know of any trails up nort der hey, but there is a little urban baja in milwaukee. Tom (The Loyale) in wakesha knows of some trails.

Scott (Xbeerd) has the driving light using the relay and headlight ground. This was a circuit i made, and then swapped it over to scott's car.

YOu can find our milwaukee crowd at dirtyimpreza.com in the regional forums if you want to check us out.

Good luck with your lighting. i would like to see what you would come up with

I wouldnt's know of any trails up nort der hey, but there is a little urban baja in milwaukee. Tom (The Loyale) in wakesha knows of some trails.

Scott (Xbeerd) has the driving light using the relay and headlight ground. This was a circuit i made, and then swapped it over to scott's car.

YOu can find our milwaukee crowd at dirtyimpreza.com in the regional forums if you want to check us out.

Good luck with your lighting. i would like to see what you would come up with

My car is in the shop today. Should be raised 2" and have a new bumper skin, fixed hood and fender by monday. Of course my paranoid friend doesn't want me to give him the flu so i'm not allowed at the shop lol.