Ultimate Subaru Message Board

180736_1278749064575_1705497479_496253_4441581_n.jpg

I found this part screwed underneath the intake manifold it is supposed to have 2 small plastic peices that broke(where my fingers are) that fit into 2 different hoses. the first hose attaches to the top of the throttle base and the 2nd hose is hidden beneath the intake manifold and attached to a long horizontal metal rod that curves deep into the engine.

My main question is WHAT IS THIS PART? WHAT DOES IT DO?

my car is a 1999 subaru legacy outback.

That is the evaporative emissions system canister purge control valve.

It opens at specific intervals and driving conditions to allow engine vacuum to pull fuel vapor out of the charcoal canister. The canister stores fuel vapors that build in the gas tank to prevent them form escaping into the atmosphere.

Just grab one from a junkyard.

awsome tip, I was wondering how I was previously driving without it. I found the part thanks to you, THANK YOU. I found this part named as a "duty solenoid valve" at the subaru dealership for $134. I should have went to the junk yard like you advised.

I discovered the broken solenoid in the process of changing my "ect sensor" beacause I have overheating. I have done everything to fix the overheating except check for blockage in the heater hoses. Are the hoses pictured here?

169063_1279429801593_1705497479_497169_2705413_n.jpg

In engines, rapid heating of another core involves a shunt, a bypass Now if we consider You've done "everything" and need to find these hoses .. it may be possible the shunt exists yet the port/valve to expelling the heat to the heater core is blocked. i cannot be more specific to Subies yet had experience in other vehicles where this had occurred. i just want others to understand where U were going.

Don't think his year has a valve to the heater core. The later ones might I don't know.

The heater core hoses do serve as the bypass hoses, which bring hot coolant from the engine back around to the thermostat which is on the inlet side of the water pump. This flow of hot coolant keeps the thermostat from closing when driving in cold weather.

Overheating Subaru 2.5 DOHC engine. 3 main reasons:

Head Gasket

Thermostat

Air pocket in the cooling system

If you have bubbles pushing out into the overflow tank when the engine is running, it's probably the head gasket.