Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 turbo xt transmission problem

Hello all,

My wife has an '86 turbo xt 2 wheel drive w/ automatic transmission. Been working fine and one day she went to work and when she left work all of a sudden it wouldn't shift out of first gear. You can manually shift from first to second using console lever but when you put it into D it acts like it is out of gear. Although if I rev the engine high it will move like it is in first gear. If you just start with it in D it will just stay in 1st gear.

Changed the oil and filter. No major metal shavings or dirt. However the oilhad not been changed in a very long time. Also,The old filter had a hole in it! Started it back up but it still stays in first gear unless I manually shift it.

Any thoughts. Is this totaled or is there something I can look at or adjust? What about the automatic transmission modulator. Can that cause this problem and if so how do I check it? Also we have noticed in the past month the ECS light comes on for a short time (sometimes a minute , sometimes up to 5 minutes. ) but this has been very very intermittent. Another thing, that I have just noticed is that when I push the accelerator to the floor (at idle) the engine races and returns to idle speed very very slowly,

We need the car for work. We can shift into second manually anf I can do about 45 MPH at 3000 rpm's. Is it ok to drive like that until I figure a fix?

Thanks ahead of time for any input. We don't have the funds to replace it, Unless maybe if we do it ourselves.

Edited by neximile

You can check to see if the governor is apple cored. Its on the passenger side of the trans and has a round cover that sticks out on it. Try calling 1 866 528-5282 or ordering a new one at http://1stsubaruparts.com/

Heres someone else that had the problem, but it sounds like in the end he probably had to replace the trans.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47309&highlight=governor+service

Thanks much Turbone! I hope this is just what the doctor ordered. Since I read your post I have been searching the forum. There is alot of great stuff here. I found several posts that seem to agree with what you directed me to. So tomorrow I am of to se if I can clean up the governor and hopefully that will be possible and will solve the problem!

Thanks again, Much appreciated the quick response!

101_2490.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc252/neximile/101_2489.jpg

Just removed the governor. Looks in very good condition. No apple coring at all. The valve/plunger spring assebly moves very freely with no binding at all.

Should I take apart and clean anyway? If this is good what else can I look at/for. The transmission modulator looks kind of cruddy. Should I try replacing that. Thanks.

I guess have a try at the modulator then. I'm far from a guru when it comes to a transmission, but I would say if this doesnt do the trick I would be looking for a replacement or swap in a 5spd. Not sure how your missus would like that, but it would solve having to deal with it again. This make of trans from Subaru is notorious for going bad and fixing one is more costly than replacing.

Modulator is only used for kicking down into a lower gear under heavy throttle... I think that it only has an effect in D. Usual failure mode for it is to rupture its diaphragm, sucking ATF into the intake, lowering the tranny's ATF level and giving you a white smoke screen. Diagnosis for a ruptured modulator is to pull the rubber hose loose from the modulator and see if the hose is damp with ATF.

My money is still on the governor valve. The only good way to tell if the parts are sliding smoothly is to disassemble it and slide the parts by hand. Every sliding part should slide as easily as "a hot knife through butter". If there is any hanging-up, stiction, tightness, whatever, then the thing will act funky.

Thank You for your input Northwet. I was thinking about doing that very thing. Can't hurt I guess. I certainly appreciate Turbone and you giving me advice. It sure beats flying blind. If this doesn't work out, at least I've gotten some education out of it. Makes me wonder if I could have fixed the cars I've owned in the past that had tranny work done to them. You know what they say; "Necessity is the Mother of Invention"..... Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what I find.

The governor valve is truly this tranny's Achilles Heel. Lots of people on this forum do not like the 3AT, think that the only good 3AT is a "dead and swapped out 3AT". It is on par with its contemporaries, and in fact one of the other Japanese car companies used the same JATCO M41 core in their cars.

Keep the fluid fresh and they usually do OK. The fluid get cooked due to neglect, low fluid levels due to leaks or modulator diaphragm rupture, and engine cooling system issues (like low coolant levels) making the radiator-tank ATF cooler ineffective.

If you have caught the governor before the gear shows damage you probably have many more miles of life left in the tranny... with proper maintenance.

:banana: TURBONE AND NORTHWET!!!!! ......You both have my undying gratitude! It worked. Even though the governor looked in good shape, as you suggested I went ahead and opened it up and deburred and cleaned it as best I could. That link you sent me, Turbone, was awesome. Whoever wrote that piece did a great job. Very easy to follow. Put it back together, started it up crossed my fingers said a litttle prayer and took it for a test drive. BAM! Shifted smooth as silk. Can't thank you enough. Did not have money to spend on fixing it or buying one. Hope this lasts for a while. My wife is overjoyed. She says to thank you guys too. Also thanks to All_Talk, Skip, Kibs45 and GeneralDisorder who's posts I read and all lead to same conclusion. This Forum is great!! AND YOU GUYS HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!....Mile and Jill

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc252/neximile/subie1.jpg

Glad things worked out. At the risk of speaking for everybody, we do enjoy when things turn out well.

One of the worst feelings is to have something broken and feel that the only way out is to do something major like a swap with little time for prep or budgeting. Keep the fluid fresh and you will probably have plenty of time to decide what you want to do.