Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Again, I am researching a newer Outback to replace my aging 97. I have a couple of questions. As I look at prices and milage on used cars, I am trying to figure out how soon I will need to have some basic work done.

As far as I know the 05 to 08's are all SOHC engines, correct?

Did they go back to hydraulic valves on those?

If not, am I still looking at having the valves adjusted at 100,000 or so like on my 97? That pretty much required the engine being pulled and cost a bit.

Is the timing belt still done at 105k like my 97?

And finally, is it any easier to change the plugs on the newer cars?

I am most likely going to get an 07, or an 08.

Thanks

Again, I am researching a newer Outback to replace my aging 97. I have a couple of questions. As I look at prices and milage on used cars, I am trying to figure out how soon I will need to have some basic work done.

As far as I know the 05 to 08's are all SOHC engines, correct?

Did they go back to hydraulic valves on those?

If not, am I still looking at having the valves adjusted at 100,000 or so like on my 97? That pretty much required the engine being pulled and cost a bit.

Is the timing belt still done at 105k like my 97?

And finally, is it any easier to change the plugs on the newer cars?

I am most likely going to get an 07, or an 08.

Thanks

SOHC starting in 1999/2000 depending on which subaru.

Not sure if they are HLA after 05, HLAs don't usually have much issues though.

Timing belt is 105k on all subies.

You don't have to pull the engine to adjust valves, the DOHC engine in your 97 has a really stupid valvetrain making it expensive to adjust.

Plugs on SOHC engines are much easier to change as they aren't in the middle of the head between the cams.

Due to your title, I'm guessing you're only interested in the EJ25 - non-turbo, but there were also the turbo in the XT model and 3.0 in the higher-end models - both are DOHC according to Cars101.com.

Also from the Cars101.com site for a 2006 Outback:

Break-in period: vary speed for 1000 miles

1st oil change 3months/3,000 miles.

3,750 oil change interval or 7,500 interval under easy driving conditions

7,500 miles or so: rotate tires

15,000 miles: check hoses, belts, brakes etc every 30,000 miles: 4 cylinder: replace spark plugs, all fluids, filters etc

every 30,000 miles 4cylinder turbo & H6: replace all fluids, filters

every 60,000 4 cylinder turbo and H6: replace spark plugs, all fluids, filters

105,000 miles: timing belt except on 6 cyl which has a timing chain

GL,

TD

Thanks, yeah I'm aware of the 3.0 and the XT. Don't want either. I am really curious about the Hydraulic valves. They were great in the older Subarus, required no maintenance.

I am currently looking at a 2008. It looks great but it is an AT. I have ALWAYS been a manual tranny guy, but man are they hard to find these days. The whole "sport shift" thing sounds silly. You can always shift any auto tranny on hills and in snow. I don't see the need. I have always preferred the better milage and longevity of manuals, but I might bite the bullet this time. We do drive in the mountains all the time here so...

Thanks again.