Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tie rod ends- low friction OK?

Our '98 OBW now has 213K on it. Recently changed the front struts and lower ball joints. I'm worried about both the inner and outer tie rod ends. There's no perceptible play in them, but the lack of friction they display (i.e. very easy to rock and twist them) makes me a little concerned. They're definitely 'floppier' than most I've checked, but there really doesn't seem to be any lost motion.

I'm wondering how dangerous this might or might not be. I once brought a knuckle/hub/spindle assembly to a machine shop and they freaked out that the ball joint was so floppy and low friction (though it had no actual play I could detect.) Anyway, money's a bit tight and the car also needs tires, a lower A-arm bushing and a few other things, so I'm trying to decide what to prioritize. Normally, I'd get the suspension tip top first, alignment + tires and be done with it, but....

Finally, any recommendations on a good value inner tie rod end tool that's sold by Amazon.com? (I have a gift certificate....) They have the Lisle universal kit and a few other options.

Nathan

If there's no play, and the boots aren't toast, I would keep 'em on there. Do the inners have a jamb nut up against the outers? If so, who cares if they are easy to twist? All ball joints will do this regardless of age. All you have to do is twist a little harder. Plus, Is it worth screwing your currently good alignment to replace a few parts, then do it again for the others? In my opinion, save up, buy all the parts for the front end, and do all of the work at once so that you only have to align it once, and you don't have an odd mix of old and new parts screwing with each other. If you absolutely need an alignment beforehand, get a tape measure. Measure the distance between the same spots on the tires and get a wrench. Adjust until even or at the very least toed it just a hair. It's what I had to do to mine. Best of luck!