Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 XT overheating yet the entire radiator is cold?

So I picked up a '87 XT GL 2wd 5spd today with an MPFI EA82. It starts up just fine, but the minute you rev it up, just up to 2k, the temp gauge goes up to the H really fast. I shut it off right before it got to the line before the H, and felt the radiator, it was pretty much cold. The engine sure wasn't cold though :lol:

The radiator is full of coolant. I don't notice any mixing of fluids. I ran it without the radiator cap and the water is stagnant; it just sits there. The hoses get hot, just not the radiator. I'm confused, I've never had a radiator that's not hot anywhere I touch.

This is all while parked, I can't drive it yet because the front hub is stripped out.

Where should I start?

I figure yanking the t-stat and seeing what happens would be the easiest (and cheapest.) I really hope that's all it is...

If I need a new water pump, can I use... say, an SPFI EA82 water pump? I don't know exactly what interchanges... What about radiators? I'll buy new if need be. Hard to search for XT related things...

no, you will need one for a turbo/mpfi. the short 105mm shaft versus the spfi 110 mm shaft.

you can use an spfi water pump, so long as you have the right pulley to go with it, but only if you convert all of the pulleys yo v belts instead of flat belts, and the xt/mpfi motor did not ever have the long water pump, and therefore the right pulley for it would not exist.

As usual, Milesfox knows what he is talking about with the waterpump being special.

It is unlikely that it is a waterpump issue. Waterpumps are pretty dumb-simple devices. They need replacing due to seal and/or bearing deterioration. I have yet to see one where the impeller is not working.

Expect a more common fault, like t-stat or plugged radiator.

• 3 weeks later...
Those rads are good for plugging up too. If you pull the T-stat and it still gets hot and there's not a ton of pressure in the system, I'd look into flow.

You're right on the money. I've had the t-stat yanked for a while now, and the temp gauge still goes up to about halfway. I bought a new radiator cap with the lever on it; I'm still getting practically zero pressure.

However, the radiator actually gets warm now, it's not cold like it was before. I can't feel any cold spots, anyhow.

EVERY Subaru I've bought needed a new radiator, now I just need to figure out exactly which one to get! I always end up getting the wrong radiator two or three times before I finally find the right one :mad:

I'm going to search around, but I figured I'd ask just in case.

Is it possible to get a 2-row radiator for my NA XT? If so, any idea on which one? I understand a single-row radiator works just fine, but I'd like the added "insurance" as I live in NW Arizona (125 degree summers)

Going to probably toss the manual fan as well, and install another EA82 electric fan.