Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all,

I just got the clutch replaced in my '95 Legacy L wagon and it made a HUGE difference in how it drives.

The problem is... This is my first manual transmission car and I know enough about driving one to be dangerous.

I drove it fine as the clutch was pretty well gone, but now, I'm having a hard time starting from a stop.

So I'm swallowing my pride and asking for help from the expects. How do you drive your manual transmission soob so that you don't toast the clutch and not upset people by stalling at lights. :)

What helps me is giving the engine some gas, then slowing releasing the clutch. I thought I've read this is backwards and can put un-necessary wear on the clutch.

So I'm at your mercy. Please help!

Thanks ever so much!

JB

Edited by JazzBass

rev to about 2000RPM

EXTREMELY SLOWLY release clutch, until clutch engages

Enjoy.

But with all seriousness I say you go try and practice learning to let off the clutch in a parking lot. Get a feel for the new engagement point, and try to launch it without any throttle input. Basically, you need to learn first how to get the car rolling without using the throttle. Once you master getting the car rolling without using the throttle and by modulating the clutch alone, that should help with your ability to launch.

The above is about what I'd advise. There's no magic bullet so to speak, just practice and experience. But yeah, the secret to a long lived clutch is getting through the engagement point as quickly as you can without jerking things around.

Good luck!

Will-

Thanks guys! Makes sense.

So to try and launch without throttle, am I allowed to push the clutch in and out until I get going or are we talking about just letting out slowly once I hit the engagement point?

Like I said, I'm totally new :eek: and only have a little bit of knowledge to go by.

Thanks again!

JB

Doesn't matter too much how you go about it at first. Just remember that the goal is to get the car moving while using no throttle. Obviously, you should do this on a totally flat grade. Once you've done that a few times, you'll start to feel how the torque of the motor gets the ball rolling, so to speak. Then start incorporating the gas pedal so that you can bring the clutch out faster and get moving sooner.

Once you've got the hang of starting from a stop under normal conditions, try starting on some slight slopes. Being able to start on hills is a good skill to have.

Good luck!

Will-

The way I'd describe the correct way to launch with a manual transmission/clutch is to give it some gas (it's too easy to just kill the engine otherwise) and let the clutch out until you feel it start to pull the car. Then the learned skill comes in, which is to let the clutch pedal up pretty quickly to full engagement AT THE SAME TIME you're giving it even more gas.

The point is that you can't really give it enough gas for a good launch before the clutch is grabbing at all, because you'll rev too high and draw ridicule from bystanders. Once the clutch starts to grab, then it's time to get through the launch quickly (for minimizing clutch wear) and you have to develop the skill of what to do with the throttle to make it all happen well.

I taught my three offspring (a son and two daughters) to drive in a manual tranny car, because I wanted them to have that skill. Now, they all much prefer to drive a manual. And my daughters have had the opportunity to derive special relish from teaching a BOY how to drive a stick shift at times.

The two cardinal rules I emphasize for being kind to your manual transmission car are "Don't give it a LOT of gas until your foot is completely off of the clutch pedal." Enough gas to launch reasonably, yes, but don't sacrifice your clutch by extending the engagement period so you can have your engine revving all the way up in its power band. That's for drag racers, not a person who wants clutch longevity.

The second, lesser rule is "Treat pressing the clutch pedal as a temporary thing, as a general rule." This means to not sit at a red light with your transmission in gear and the clutch pedal held down until it's time to go. Yes, there are certain traffic situations where you need to be in gear and ready to respond quickly when your chance comes, and that's fine, but don't just have a habit of sitting with your foot on the clutch when there's nothing really going on. There is a bearing that has to work only when the clutch pedal is pressed, and there's no point in making that bearing work a lot of extra time. A fully-engaged clutch is a HAPPY clutch!

+1 on a flat surface.

My brother AMAZED me at a stop light in my 240sx when he got it to move uphill without pushing the gas...

I was so amazed until I learned how to do it, now its boring.

Slowly, and I mean slowly let off the clutch, the car will start to roll forward ( so dont be near a wall ) and where you feel the rpms drop and the car start to roll forward is your release point, this is the easiest way to do it without frying your clutch.

My experience comes from my 86 GL, 93 240sx.

So I'm swallowing my pride and asking for help from the expects. How do you drive your manual transmission soob so that you don't toast the clutch and not upset people by stalling at lights. :)

JB

Not much to add, but try to anticipate the situation and see if you can keep some forward momentum to ease the start up. I found it easier to learn driving a stick way back when by paying attention to what the car was doing and the noises it was making so no stereo and no chatty passengers. Otherwise, don't use the clutch pedal as a foot rest and don't use the shift knob as a hand rest. It's all timing and takes practice, but good suggestions are posted. Be patient and good luck.

Everyone,

Fantastic information! It's been extremely frustrating for me, but your advice is helping me see it will take a little while until it becomes second nature.

So I guess I'll just keep on trying and being patient with myself. It's hard, but I know it'll take some time.

I'll need to try and get the car going without gas by letting the clutch out slowly. I have a tendency now to start letting it out and when it starts to grab, I push the clutch pedal in again for the engine to recover then let the clutch out again. I need to get it down.

Thanks very much for the great responses and confidence boost! I greatly appreciate it!

JB

I'll need to try and get the car going without gas by letting the clutch out slowly. I have a tendency now to start letting it out and when it starts to grab, I push the clutch pedal in again for the engine to recover then let the clutch out again. I need to get it down.

JB

That's the beauty of fuel injection and computerized engine management. If you're careful, the ECU will keep the engine alive while you slowly let out the clutch. This helps you get a feel for where that engagement point is. After you do that a few times, then move up to giving some gas after you've gotten the car moving without it. The target is to be able to hit the clutch engagement point and apply the gas nearly simultaneously.

Patience, determination, and a good parking lot to practice in. Thats all you need and you'll get it! It really just comes down to understanding the feel of your car. I had my clutch replaced a few years ago and it was VERY strange for a while afterwards! I totally understand where you're coming from!

If you know anyone that knows how to drive a stick (eg: a relative, friend or

USMB member) have them teach you how to drive.

Its much easier to learn with a teacher and it prevents you from learning

some bad habits.

I know how weird it feels to have a brand spanking new clutch in a car.

Two of them actually... (different cars, I haven't smoked a clutch. Yet :rolleyes: )

A good tip I know is to when in a level parking lot, let the clutch out SLOWLY

until you feel/see the RPM's start to dip.

Continue to slowly let out the clutch without touching the gas pedal until

you're rolling.

Then do it again a little faster.

And faster and faster until you get to the point you're able to let it out fairly

quickly and smoothly.

Now after you've mastered that start adding very, very slight amounts of gas

pedal.

And try not to hit the gas until you have completely engaged the clutch.

This will save your clutch and make you look like you've been doing this

forever :)

Twitch

Hey gang!

Thanks for the additional help! It is greatly appreciated!

Well, I think I found something that is kinda holding me back (Literally). My hill-holder seems to be adjusted a little too tight in some situations. Today was horrible. Not much of an incline, but I realized I had quite a bit of pressure on the break pedal. When the light turned green, she didn't want to go at all; Parking break effect. :eek::mad::rolleyes: Tried playing with the pedals, so that I could at least roll back some, but I just wound up revving the engine higher than I normally do to get going. I really need to loosen that up.

My Haynes manual shows what the parts look like, but doesn't show where those parts are under the hood . I found the valve with the spring part but I didn't see the correct section where you adjust the cable with the adjustment nut and lock nut. I'll have to look for it more closely.

I'll ask my B-I-L to give me some lessons. He's really good driver and is a good, patient teacher.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who took some adjusting to a new clutch. That makes me feel better about this whole thing.

One question: Is it normal to smell a faint smell (like heated brakes, but I'm pretty sure it's the clutch) when you finish a trip? Maybe it's just the newbie trying to learn? :)

Thanks again!

JB

Hey gang!

I'll ask my B-I-L to give me some lessons. He's really good driver and is a good, patient teacher.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who took some adjusting to a new clutch. That makes me feel better about this whole thing.

One question: Is it normal to smell a faint smell (like heated brakes, but I'm pretty sure it's the clutch) when you finish a trip? Maybe it's just the newbie trying to learn? :)

Thanks again!

JB

Good idea on the teacher :)

The hill holder catching could be dragging your brakes a little bit causing the

hot brakes smell.

If that gets adjusted out properly, then it should go away and your starting

out should be made easier.

If the smell sticks around, but you're still learning then it may just be you learning still :)

And as for getting used to a new clutch, just be glad you're not in an EA81

with skinny little tires with a brand new clutch.

I swear them suckers squeaked every time I let off the clutch for the first

week (doesn't help the clutch was upgraded :grin: ), makes cops look at you

funny too :-\

Twitch

Good idea on the teacher :)

And as for getting used to a new clutch, just be glad you're not in an EA81

with skinny little tires with a brand new clutch.

I swear them suckers squeaked every time I let off the clutch for the first

week (doesn't help the clutch was upgraded :grin: ), makes cops look at you

funny too :-\

Twitch

LOL! That's great! I'll tell you, I miss the torque of my old truck (not the high price of diesel, however). I downsized from a '97 F-250 Ext cab with the Power Stroke diesel. It was an auto, but have driven a few other trucks w/ manuals and same engine and you can just let the clutch out and you'd start rolling without a problem. Did that once or twice a little too quick and yowsa! :)

Thanks Twitch and again, to all who have helped me out!

JB

• 2 weeks later...

Twitch and Fairtax,

Thanks for the posts!

I live in Colorado, so that's quite out of the way for you, but I totally appreciate it. The wet grass sounds like loads of fun. :)

Well, it's been about 10 days or so and it's getting better. Will still stall out on occasion, but it's less than before. Had a bucking bronco leaving the local Wendys drive thru and heard some laughter from behind me, but oh well. :)

Still trying to get the amount of fuel I need and clutch engagement correct. I did find a few things that I'm doing wrong (and trying to fix)

1. When I give it fuel from a stop, I have a tendency to back off the fuel when the clutch engages. I need to stop that.

2. When I don't do the above, I seem to be giving it more fuel that what it needs to get going, so again, trying to limit the fuel to what I NEED, and keeping the accelerator at the same point or just a bit more once the clutch is fully engaged rather than backing off the fuel.

I still smell the clutch on occasion, but it's less. I hope I'll still have a clutch by the time I get this right. :)

Thanks again everyone for the insight and help!

JB