Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey i was wondering if anyone knew what is the proper procedure for tightening the front two bearings, or is there a sequence thing to them? Or how do i know got the correct distance between the gears inside the tranny? Any suggestions thanks

don't mess with them if you do not know what you are doing. if you adjust them wrong you will ruin your front diff.

unless someone has already messed with them , they are right.

the process is fairly complicated and how the ring and pinion meet needs to be checked during the process. so leave them alone.

what is going on with yours, are they leaking oil?

The o rings not leaking or the seal on the shaft. I get this slight shimmy/viberation back and forth on the steering wheel and its not the brakes cv shafts or the tires or outta balance tires. But i feel the wiggle on the output shafts are little more then what they should move and thats gotta be it?

Are you talking about the shaft while the axle is mounted? if so "yes" a little play is normal. Not sure about the stub its self, but it is a possibility. You say a shimmy in the steering? ball joints? tie rods? bad struts? I know mine did the same thing but after replacement of said items voila! gone. Recent axle replacement? there are a ton of things it could be,start with the easiest first.

A worn axle might cause a vibration, but that has nothing to do with the stub that sticks out of the differential. DO NOT play around with the housings that hold the differential bearings. Those set the differential carrier bearing preload and ring gear backlash. Incorrect adjustment of either one will result in failure of the differential. Adjustment will not change the amount of "wiggle" of the stub.

Do you axles have green paint on the CV joint cups? If not they are not Subaru axles and may be the cause of your vibration.

When does this vibration/shimmy occur?

It usually occurs 63 to 85 when you can really notice it but you can start feel it for a bit around 30-35mph. im kinda lost at what it could be so thats why i was maybe guess the bearings? and it did with subaru cv shafts as well. Any guess's on it?

It usually occurs 63 to 85 when you can really notice it but you can start feel it for a bit around 30-35mph. im kinda lost at what it could be so thats why i was maybe guess the bearings? and it did with subaru cv shafts as well. Any guess's on it?

If your tires are good that leaves your front end. I don't think the rack would have that much play, if it did you would be pissing fluid by now. The other steering problems it could be is your half-shaft (from the steering spline to the rack), i've had those go before but they didn't vibrate, just loose steering. Other problem I had was in the steering column, I never diagnosed or fixed it, but something had play between the shaft stub in the engine bay and the steering wheel. I'm not sure what that could have been (wasn't the u-joint), but my guess would be that the fix is to change the steering column. If you can feel that the vibe is in the driveline i'd check your hanger bearing. That will vibe for a long time before you hear it.

All u have to do to check the hanger bearing is grab the driveshaft near the middle and pull up and down quick, if it moves more than 1/4" or so I'd say its bad. Mine didn't give any noticeable vibration until the play in the driveshaft was very noticeable.

Finally check the u-joints, to check those just put the trans in neutral and the e-brake on, grab the driveshaft by the transmission and turn it back and forth. Any play between the front of the driveshaft and the back would indicated a failing u-joint.

Unfotunatly the only remedy I know for those two problems is to change the driveshaft. I know places on ebay sell driveshafts for a reasonable price with a warranty. I've heard of shops that will rebuild Subaru driveshafts (since the u-joints are not serviceable, and i'm not sure but I don't think the hanger hearing is either) but I wouldn't be able to direct you to one. Hopefully you can narrow down your vibe.

Good Luck!

Edited by cj7135

A Drive Shaft is a tricky thing to get rebuilt properly. I bought one from a local rebuild shop, and it was a POS. Vibrated from the get go.

Good to know, next time I need one I'll be going with ebay. They're only 100-150$ on there, not a bad deal.

Do you feel any rumble or shudder on hard acceleration from a stop?