Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am using mobil 1 75w90 in both front and rear diff. 2 bottles will do, .o8 in the rear and 1.3 in the front. (4eat)

If a manual trans, use only a straight 80w90. If using a synthetic 75w90 in a manual trans, it MUST be synchromesh for bronze parts AND gl-5 rated for the front diff. Subaru extra-s recommended or any synchromesh fluid with a gl-5 rating. Most of these synchromesh oils will be gl-4 rated which is not appropriate for the diff in the manual trans

Edited by MilesFox

Both a 75w90 and an 80w90 are still 90 wt oil at load and temp. the 75w will flow better when cold (northern climate) and may be better for your fuel economy. This is my logic when using a 75w90 over an 80w90 in my application where it calls for 80w90 all temps or straight 90 for hot climate.

Edited by MilesFox

Ah ok. I knew it wasn't a big difference but never experienced it myself So figured I'd go with OE recommendations but I'll go with the word of experience and do 75w90 all around. Gonna be doing it Saturday so hopefully weather isn't too cold

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I just replaced the oil in the rear diff on my 1992 legacy wagon and used  an old 1/2 inch ratchet and jack to remove plugs.  Maybe just lucky but no problems.  I used the Redline 75/90 synthetic that so many recommended.  I was going to change oil in the front diff but when I pulled the little dip stick that is on the right side near firewall it has the red ATF fluid on it.  I have the auto trans and thought that the diff would also use the 75/90 oil.  I'm sorry but I am a 80 year old idiot and have a problem trying to sort out some problems.  My Subbie that I bought used 15 years ago just turned over to 137000 and I try do my own maintenance. Following directions in the Haynes Repair Manual I found the drain plug for the front diff but I don't if I want to drain it until I find out what oil to use.  Does the auto transaxle share oil with the diff?