Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to USMB forums, looking at buying a Subie

First off I don't own a Subaru, yet. I own a Toyota truck and the other day I had the opportunity to drive a BMW M3. Now I want a fast car. haha, that was fun. I realize it would take quite a bit of money to make a car that fast- but you gotta start somewhere.

I was on craigslist and saw a 97 Impreza with 260,000 miles on the body for $1000. It had an engine put in at 200k, is a 5 speed and doesn't start.

Extras include: (not installed) mr7 wheels, new tires, stock intercooler and radiator, 3.5" cat back exhaust (worn out), f1 stage 1 clutch with less than 1k miles, sub frame for turbo, perfect power ecu, extra upper strut bars + agx suspension.

This might sound stupid but car are pretty simple right, as long as there is no rust and the frame isn't bent not much can go terribly wrong with the car.

Would it be stupid to buy a car like this and expect it to get me to work and school while still being able to get on the gas every once in awhile?

This might sound stupid but car are pretty simple right, as long as there is no rust and the frame isn't bent not much can go terribly wrong with the car.

Not true at all. Things can (and probably will with that one) go horribly sideways. Sounds like someone's weekend racer project they have lost interest in. Probably a huge POS for $1k. Definitely pass.

Would it be stupid to buy a car like this and expect it to get me to work and school while still being able to get on the gas every once in awhile?

Completely and utterly foolish, yes. Have your head examined if you think you are going to just get in and drive without a care in the world. It's obviously either a turbo swap or they added a turbo to the N/A engine - that's really, really sketchy - considering the price it was obviously not a professional build. Forget about that car kid.

GD

1.8. No.

2.0 is the standard turbo engine and typically is the easiest to come across with any real performance potential in the sense that you're looking for. The 1.8 was never built with forced induction AFAIK and as such it is not designed, nor able, to handle high HP application without serious modification.

If you want "teh powah" with the least effort, look for an Impreza WRX turbo.

but anyways do the 1.8 liters have any performance potential in them at all?

Nope. Totally gutless (110 HP). They are built for economy. They don't have knock control either so there's not much you can do with them easily.

You want a 2.2 Impreza at the very least if you want any kind of performance.

In either one you can put a 2.5 block under the 1.8/2.2 heads and get some performance that way. But that's probably more work than you are wanting to do.

GD

your just in Seattle, why don't you just let GD hook you up with a decent ride, at least you will know its in good shape and everything is mechanically sound. 97 imprezza turbo'd....yeah someone was attempting to be a rally driver:lol: stay clear of that one.

OH and GD is only in the PDX area..... just an idea..

Ok, so thanks for all the input here. I like this forum, most other forums I would of been banned by now. haha.

I'm gonna wiki the difference between Impreza and Impreza WRX

So apparently i'm new to even talking about Subarus. I am on a budget and would much rather build a car than shell out the cash for something already built. Yes that means I have no problems doing engine swaps, tranny swaps, ect. I can always drive the family truck when my car is out of service.

"your just in Seattle, why don't you just let GD hook you up with a decent ride"

Hey GeneralDisorder, know of any decent rides up here in the PacNW?

WRX = World Rally Cross

It's Subarus rally based entry level performance version of the Impreza. The WRX STi is the powerhouse version of the Impreza, even though it's not legal in World Rally Cross racing series because the 2.5 engine is too big. (the newer ones at least) Go figure, eh? :lol:

Check out Cars101.com for lots more info on current and past Subaru models. You'll probably be most interested in the archive section.

Where performance is a concern, most of the Impreza sites (rs25, dirtyimpreza, nasioc) linked at the top of the page have more of a performance oriented group than what frequent this forum. Surely you'll find plenty of good information on those sites as well.

Hey GeneralDisorder, know of any decent rides up here in the PacNW?

I buy/recondition/sell Subaru's in addition to doing repair work for the fine members here and other's in the Subaru community. If you want to talk about buying somthing from me or having me recondition one of your own purchases, etc - drop me a line on my email: cropperr (at) gmail (dot) com. :)

GD

WRX = World Rally Cross

It's Subarus rally based entry level performance version of the Impreza. The WRX STi is the powerhouse version of the Impreza, even though it's not legal in World Rally Cross racing series because the 2.5 engine is too big. (the newer ones at least) Go figure, eh? :lol:

Check out Cars101.com for lots more info on current and past Subaru models. You'll probably be most interested in the archive section.

Where performance is a concern, most of the Impreza sites (rs25, dirtyimpreza, nasioc) linked at the top of the page have more of a performance oriented group than what frequent this forum. Surely you'll find plenty of good information on those sites as well.

Not so sure if that's what WRX stands for...

World Rallycross is entirely different from the World Rally Championship.

In Europe, Rallycross = dual-surface circuit racing that tends to have heavy contact, while rally racing (stage rally, anyways) involves point-to-point stages.

The 2.5L engine isn't legal in WRC Group N due to the 2000cc maximum displacement, but not like that matters (unless you want to compete in RallyCar (formerly Rally America) in the equivalent Group N category.

The turbocharged EJ25 isn't legal for anyone looking to enter Group N, however, the Japanese EJ207 is.

And to make things easier:

A plain Impreza will most definitely be naturally-aspirated (non-turbo). It will not have the performance enhancements of the WRX or WRX STI.

An Impreza 2.5RS (MY1998-MY2001) is Subaru's first significant attempt to make a sporty entry-level car. It is basically an EJ25 in an Impreza (EJ25 was only available to the Legacy at the time). It can be had with either a 5-speed manual or 4EAT, 2-door or 4-door. I think this right here will fit right into your budget.

An Impreza WRX will be turbocharged. You can get one in a 5-speed manual or 4EAT (2009 onwards 5-speed manual only). It is the entry-level performance car from Subaru, with a sport-tuned suspension, wider tires, turbocharged engine with limited-slip rear differential, and other goodies.

An Impreza WRX STI will be turbocharged. In North America, you can only get it in a 6-speed manual. It is Subaru's flagship sporty-car to compete with other sporty cars on the market. It has an even more aggressively-tuned sport suspension, even wider tires, Brembo brakes, even more powerful turbocharged engine, with limited-slip rear and front differential and manually-controllable DCCD (which can change torque distribution a little between the front and rear wheels).

I do apologize if I'm just blabbering, but I hope that helps the OP in their quest for a performance Subaru :)

Edited by AWDfreak

just an idea... if you want an imprezza but cant afford a WRX, here is the other option:banana: find a decent imprezza with a ej25d, the find some ej22 heads talk to GD and get the torque cams. That car will scoot!! its know as the "frankenmotor" dada da, there ya go. GD has built one and is in the process of another for his GL(it will be scary).