Ultimate Subaru Message Board

VIN information (4 or 5)

Hi guys,

I've been looking for various parts online for my 1991 Loyale and have come across something that stumps me. I have not been able to find anything in my searches either. So the auto parts stores always ask what engine I have. They give me two options: H4 1.8L vin 4 1781cc - TBI GAS or H4 1.8L vin 5 1781cc - TBI GAS. How do I tell which one I have?

Thanks,

Nick

Oh, my VIN is JF2AN52B6MD411629

Thanks! I found out that the 6th digit in the VIN tells you the specific engine type.

You're welcome. I have a good VIN decoding chart in one of my Sube repair books but my books only go up to '88. I imagine they have the same charts for the later models in the appropriate books.

• 2 years later...

You're welcome. I have a good VIN decoding chart in one of my Sube repair books but my books only go up to '88. I imagine they have the same charts for the later models in the appropriate books.

can you decode my subi  ( JF1AG2BL0CB804253 ) Please , i know it is a 86! or is it not? or you can mail it to me at: 190d2012@gmail.com

please tell me all that you can get out of it  !

Edited by 190d2012

My vin looks kind of funny if you try to read it from the known basis. JF1AK7EL0BG256641 is my vin and no probs until the fifth letter in it. As seen it has K as fifth letter and vin info tries to say me it's then "2nd gen. non-raised-roof Legacy Wagon". Then comes number 7 that should be correct since it was 4WD with air suspension. And once again the last six letters (12 to 17) says it's legacy sedan so go figure what it is :)-

What I know about it it should be between MY89-91 lifted roof FT4WD with air suspension and oh it has EA82T so there is also some accurate info in the internet thingy regardin my vin.

Edited by -tombba-

I thought the 5 was for 4wd. Its that right?

For EA81 and EA81 powered 2nd gen leone/loyale:

5 (as a sixth letter) is for: 1800cc 4WD w/out air susp - 1988, 1989; 1800cc 4WD 1990-94

4 (as a sixth letter) is for: 1800cc 1985-94

7 (as a sixth letter) is for: 1800cc 4WD w/ air susp

Then ofcourse there is the EA71 versions of second gen leone/loyale:

2 (as a sixth letter) is for: 1600cc - 1989

3 (as a sixth letter) is for: 1600cc 4WD - 1989

Or that's what I get out of the charts. It might not be right and I won't take any responsibility of it :)

Edited by -tombba-

yes and what about the (0) ?

I've never seen 0 in the charts if we are talking about the sixth number. Only numbers from 1 to 9 has been in the charts. If your

're talking about the ninth digit (as your vn has 0 in there) it is just a check digit.