Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I cant find my old thread. My 97 impreza 2.2l auto trans. The transmission wants to go forward in every gear including nuetral and park. I tried driving it and it will not shift its as if it only has one forward gear. In park it only revs to about 2000 rpm and then it grinds. I looked at the trans pan and its a little dented. The fluid looks good. With the engine off nuetral is there. This problem has me stumped. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. If the trans is bad will the 4EAT out of my 96 legacy outback work in this car?

Edited by daddywagon

I cant find my old thread. My 97 impreza 2.2l auto trans. The transmission wants to go forward in every gear including nuetral and park. I tried driving it and it will not shift its as if it only has one forward gear. In park it only revs to about 2000 rpm and then it grinds. I looked at the trans pan and its a little dented. The fluid looks good. With the engine off nuetral is there. This problem has me stumped. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. If the trans is bad will the 4EAT out of my 96 legacy outback work in this car?

the 96 outback trans has a different final drive ratio. you can't use it unless you use the rear diff from the outback as well.

if the pan is dented there is a good chance that there is a wiring problem inside the pan. ther is very little room between the pan and the valve body. dented pans can cause all sorts of problem. remove it , fix or replace it and see.

how did the pan get dented?

Any CEL ?

Since there is a neutral the Inhibitor switch is working. Ot sounds like the internal pawl that selects the valves inside the transmission are broken. This may have a broken valve body or other damage.

I would replace it with one from the same model car,