Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grandma's Subaru

The 3.4 came from a '94 Camaro. Parts are no problem, they're still very similar to the 2.8 and 3.1L versions of that engine, which are the first generation most parts are interchangeable. They are pretty inefficient though. The engine I have on the stand now is a LX9 3500 from an '05 Chevy Uplander. Same bell housing and similar external dimensions, but it's the 4th generation of that engine family. Much more modern. More efficient aluminum heads, roller valvetrain, improved oiling, cross-bolted mains, etc. But the LX9 is only used in FWD applications so there will be a bit of fabrication work to get it installed in a Trooper. Full multiport injection conversion too. I did originally run my 3.4L as multiport, but I was having wiring issues and ended up reverting to TBI (which I could do since everything was interchangeable with the 2.8L). Of course I figured out the problem later, so now I'm thinking of reinstalling the multiport. It was just better.

Ah so you're familiar with the "S" code 3.4! Most of the parts are the same similar, from what I understand they had different heads and a slightly different intake and different injectors etc. That engine is "better" with a little more HP but a good chunk extra torque (200 ft-lbs?).

Hope all goes well and the car is not too bad off. EA is a solid engine but an EJ might be a slightly exciting upgrade.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the 3.4L is a heck of an upgrade from the 2.8L. Mostly a bolt-on install too.

If the EA doesn't have a ton of miles on it, I'll probably just convert to EFI and run it. The donor car that I might be able to talk a friend out of has 170k miles. It's a '93 Impreza.

Edited by Red0ktober

I have it, title in hand. A mere 77k miles and running great, but the car is pretty weathered. It was repainted with tractor paint or somesuch and it's not looking pretty. Some rot on the body. I don't think it's worth doing much with. But, it'll get me home!

If it weren't so damned ugly, it'd be a great little car! Could use some more power and a 5th gear though. I think I'll convert it to EFI and free up the exhaust, hopefully that will pep it up a little bit. That's after I take it to a body shop and see if it's even worth saving.

The engine only has about 30k on it. Lost oil somehow around 40k and blew the engine, crate or rebuilt long block was installed at that time. Decades ago.

Glad you made the trip okay!

You are right.... that thing is UGLY :grin:

As for leaks, the first thing id do is go to the self wash car wash and spend $10 and an hour or so pressure washing the poop out of it.

Having a set of ramps is a plus too. Take them to the car wash with you, drive the front of the car up on them, then pressure wash the underside well.

Cleaning things up well will help tracking down leaks in a BIG way.

I recently finished chasing all of the leaks in my '84. It was quite the adventure, but she is bone dry on the underside now. :)

Upped some more pics to photobucket:

IMG00037-20110410-1708.jpg

IMG00038-20110410-1708.jpg

IMG00039-20110410-1709.jpg

IMG00040-20110410-1709.jpg

IMG00041-20110410-1712.jpg

A battery popped in this once, nice repair 'eh?

IMG00042-20110410-1728.jpg

Some rust on the forward portion of the battery tray. Can see daylight through the metal. This is after I vacuumed and hosed out the area.

IMG00043-20110410-1728.jpg

Edited by Red0ktober

I think I'm going to pull the engine and re-seal it.

I'm going to need new front fenders. What is the interchange on these? Can I get some of the newer model years if I convert the grille/headlights too?

There are some refurb fenders for an '83-'84 on eBay for $150. I assume there were cosmetic changes between the years.