Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Leg 5 speed MT in 96 Brighton ?

I need to replace the 5 speed MT in my 2.2 96 Legacy Brighton. A local yard has a 5 speed MT from a 1998 Legacy non outback, but he says his application only shows a 96 MT will fit my car and he will not warrant the 98 MT.

By looking at the tranny chart, the gear ratio is the same (3.90) between the two and I believe I'm OK with the purchase based on searching this topic. But can anyone with more experience than me, back me up on this?

Thanks, Mark

I need to replace the 5 speed MT in my 2.2 96 Legacy Brighton. A local yard has a 5 speed MT from a 1998 Legacy non outback, but he says his application only shows a 96 MT will fit my car and he will not warrant the 98 MT.

By looking at the tranny chart, the gear ratio is the same (3.90) between the two and I believe I'm OK with the purchase based on searching this topic. But can anyone with more experience than me, back me up on this?

Thanks, Mark

It's probably okay. Just make sure that both are cable clutch transmissions (not hydraulic). Check the transmission numbers; if they are both TY752 (not 754) you should be okay. Sounds like you already have the ratio correct. Only other difference I can think of is that your car has a mechanical odometer (i.e. cable driven); the 98 might be electronic but I think that can be removed and the cable installed.

If the 98 is an L model, not a GT it should be a 3.9 gear ratio.

The 98 though most likely has a hydro clutch, and my 96 had a cable clutch.

You can swap the pedal box and all the hydro crap if you want... PITA. You could probably also bolt the cable setup to the 98 tranny.

Cable setup works if you move the clutch release fork pivot ball to the other available spot inside the bellhousing and use all the cable clutch brackets, fork ect. Not an issue at all.
That's correct. I had a '95 JDM WRX transmission swapped from hydraulic to cable to fit my '97 Impreza. I've put over 30K on that transmission now and it's still running fine.

The yard wanted $350 w/ 130,000 miles on it. Not sure if it was cable or hydro clutch. I may take a look at it sometime soon.

Thanks for the info guys.

Boy that's a stiff price to pay for a wrecking yard transmission. Local (Seattle area) pull a part yards charge $100 for a gearbox and give a 30 day no questions asked return policy. Best of luck with your repair.