Ultimate Subaru Message Board

there is a vin etched in to the bell housing on the passenger side kind of low. it is set in a small rectangle. the 11th character will be a letter. what is it?

S = 95

T = 96

U = 97

V = 98

W = 99

check the exhaust ports on the under side of the heads. dual ports means 90 - 95, single port (with no EGR) means 96 - 98 w/ manual trans. most likely.

Edited by johnceggleston

I have already gotten the 99 back on the road,with a 25.I was sent the ej 22 first it was suposed to be a 25,then they sent a 25 and never picked up the 22,so I am now looking for something cheap to put it in and have an extra for me.The 99 was for my son!

did you check the exhaust ports?

that will narrow the year down and probably tell you enough to get the right car, since it is non egr.

single port exhaust, one hole on the under side of the head, means it is 96 - 98. non egr means it is most likely from a manual trans car. so it will bolt into a 96 - 98 with a manual trans.

dual port exhaust, two holes in the under side of the head, means 90 - 95. no egr could be either trans 90- 94 or manual trans in 95.

either way, single or dual, the exhaust ports will tell you enough to get started. the 95 will be the issue. impreza was obd 1 and legacy was odb 2 and it may be hard to tell 94 from 95, so that may be hard to figure.

check the exhaust ports.

EDIT: or just sell it as is for $150.

Yes I did and it is dual ports,thanks for the info.Like I said I am now looking for something cheap this could be my backup motor or put in if the car has a bad motor. I think because these motors r cheap they did not want to pay the frieght to ship it back!I don't feel bad because it took them a month and a half to get me the right engine,so the extra one is a small compansation for their mistakes.

Yes I did and it is dual ports,t

ok dual port. does it have a flex plate or a fly wheel??

you can use it in any ej22 90 - 94. you may have to swap the intakes if this is obd2 and the car is obd 1.

or if it has a flywheel, you can use it in a 95 ej22 manual trans. intake swap if needed.

or you can use it 96 - 98 ej22 manual trans car if you get a matching y-pipe. intake swap if needed.

you could even put it in an outback or GT 96 - 98 but you will always have a CEL for the egr.

Edited by johnceggleston

condition of the car not withstanding i would think the ej22 97 - 98 would return the most money in a buy/ swap/ sell. and those car will bend valves if the t-belt brakes so you may find one cheap. and since the engine is free, swapping will be less expensive than a valve job repair.

Edited by johnceggleston

• 7 months later...
there is a vin etched in to the bell housing on the passenger side kind of low. it is set in a small rectangle. the 11th character will be a letter. what is it?

S = 95

T = 96

U = 97

V = 98

W = 99

check the exhaust ports on the under side of the heads. dual ports means 90 - 95, single port (with no EGR) means 96 - 98 w/ manual trans. most likely.

I realize this is an old post, but wanted to say thanks for posting this information. I've got a single port EJ22 going in to a Westfalia, and while I was told the engine was a 1995, the ECU did not match.

After cross referencing the ECU number, I confirmed it was a 1997 harness, but until I came across this post, I couldn't confirm that the engine matched it.

Of note though, and the clarification would be appreciated, the identifying letter on mine was in the 10th spot, not the 11th.

So once again, thanks for the info, and if you all have anymore helpful hints on determining the MY of a SP EJ22, I'd love to know!

Gavin