Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny Crossmember Question

I've also driven a Brat that had Jerry's conversion done to it and compared to the 4-speed, its heavenly. I did 75mph at 3k roughly from Portland to Seattle (about 3 hours) with the bed full of furniture and it made it up all the passes without any issues.

So when you're ready to do a 5-speed, get in touch with Jerry and he'll hook you up with the good stuff ;)

• 9 months later...

Jerry, Do you have a Kit to replace my 3 speed Auto tranny in my 1985 Brat with a 5 speed?

If so, what is involved?

I guess I will need to find a 5 speed tranny, will any 80's 5 speed work?

And I will need a clutch pedal?

Price?

Any fabrication on my part?

thanks,

Tony p

You need pedal assembly, clutch cable, transmission, rear end if the ratio doesn't match, driveshaft modified, wiring to phase out the inhibitor switch and reverse lights, center consoles.

Then Jerry's kit, you ship him the shifters from a 4spd and a 5 speed and a crossemember from a 4 speed and he sends you a kit.

Another question. I was told that If I bought a 1984 4speed / Dual range and rear diff that this will NOT bolt up to my 1985 3speed Auto brat. I was told that it just will not work.

Does not sound right. Is that true?

I can buy a complete 1984 Brat with 4 speed Hi / lo really cheap. Why would this NOt work?

thanks,

Tony p

Whats wrong with your automatic... Have you read up on governor repairs? Could be simple and cost a whopping $0 if its not eating gears.

You need pedal assembly, clutch cable, transmission, rear end if the ratio doesn't match, driveshaft modified, wiring to phase out the inhibitor switch and reverse lights, center consoles.

Add to the list, radius rod plates, speedo cable, clutch/flywheel, and 4wd light switches.

Another question. I was told that If I bought a 1984 4speed / Dual range and rear diff that this will NOT bolt up to my 1985 3speed Auto brat. I was told that it just will not work.

It will, youll have to cut a much larger hole for the shifter and figure a way to attach the 4wd shifter.

Well, I have a 117k original miles on a nice looking rust free Brat, engine is in excellent condition, no oil leaks, very original truck, with the original 3 spd. tranny.

First problem, Even with wide open throttle, it shifts into second gear at 12 mph, which KILLS acceleration and I am sure puts an extra load on the engine. At anything less than WOT, it shifts into 2nd gear at 8 - 10 mph.

A local Subaru mechanic replaced the modulator with an adjustable one, and flushed tranny fluid , and the 1 to 2 shift is still no later than 12 mph.

And the performance and fuel mileage really sucks compared to a manual tranny. Other than that, the 3 speed is great!

thanks,

Tony p

And the performance and fuel mileage really sucks compared to a manual tranny.

Nature of the beast.

At anything less than WOT, it shifts into 2nd gear at 8 - 10 mph.

A local Subaru mechanic replaced the modulator with an adjustable one, and flushed tranny fluid , and the 1 to 2 shift is still no later than 12 mph.

Try adjusting the modulator even more. The vacuum hose to the modulator may be cracked or its not hooked up properly. IIRC its part of the emissions disaster under the hood. It was designed to hang in gear longer befor shifts when cold to help warm the engine faster. You might try to bypass some of that. Im not too sure cleaning up the gov assy will help here but its easy enough to do.

Unless you really dont want an auto it doesnt sound to me like its time to just rip it out.

What does IIRC mean?

If I recall

Is there a band adjustment? Local transmission shop is no help.

Adjusting the band probably would not affect this problem, as it shifts fine just too early. Its easy to do but I dont have the specs. The nut is on the driver side tranny body above the pan just rear of the shift linkage. Did your trans shop do a pressure check?

read this over

I also think you should start a new thread after you check your vacuum system. It may attract some of our automatic gurus like "silverhelm". They will have better details than me.