Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swap Heads 90 2.2 to a 96 legacy Block?

ScoobyDoo1061

Never done this (so perhaps I shouldn't respond) but the 96 block will hava a place for that big EGR(I believe) metal tube that goes to the back of the drivers side head. Whether you can just plug that or not I don't know.

You'll also have other "plumbing" to undo I believe for the EVAP and EGR systems that will be on the 96 intake. You may be able to swap the intake though but this foot long metal tube I'm talking about you'll have to figure out how to get around.

IIR those injectors on those 90 & 91's weren't all that great(reliable) though if you swap intakes. But I'v eonly worked on a dozen of those early 90's cars.

Just reread my post. What I'm saying is that there will in essence be a hole on the block on the drivers backside near the bellhousing where this metal tube comes out of that will need plugged. I believe every EGR engine has this and thus the 96 should.

But I'll step aside and hope that someone who has actually done this will respond given a little time.

I thought the EGR port was on the head.

So, just to clarify, you're just talking about dropping the '96 shortblock in a '90? Using the '90 heads, intake manifold, wiring, etc. etc.

The EGR thing is the only thing I can think of that you might have in issue with. I thought it was on the head, but if not, just block it off.

EGR is between head and intake.

No hole in the shortblock.

Besides, a 96 EJ22 from an outback would be from a manual trans car, with no EGR at all. Just like the earlier cars with a few tweaks to the wiring, and the addition of a MAP. otherwise identical setups.

Oh yeah...96 is single port exhaust heads with rollers.(you may want to consider swapping the cams and rockers from the 96 ont eh heads you use:grin:)

The swap will work perfectly. You can even use the 96 intake, fuelrails, and injectors, and evap....you may have to swap on the 90 Throttle body to use the 90 TPS. Then just swap the 90 engine loom onto the 96 intake.