Ultimate Subaru Message Board

One Step Forward

So, after being quiet for months, it's finally warm enough to work on the GL (1984, EA81, DR-4spd). I did a bunch of underhood stuff including a new HD radiator (4-core, I believe), and I finally got the ignition switch replaced. It's like magic. Driving a new car, even.

Then, when I got into her this AM, the fan blower isn't working a bit. Fuses all check, but I was running late and didn't have time to investigate fully. I didn't take out the dashboard or remove the console, are there wires around the steering column that I could have easily banged loose? Or am I on the "Test Light and Torment" plan for next weekend?

Thanks in advance

J

OK, I did a large amount of work on replacing my ignition switch and so on, and after getting everything all bolted back together, horn works, clock works, blinkers work, ignition works a treat! And suddenly, the blower motor doesn't work.

I have torn 90% of the dash out of my GL, and all wires are properly connected, I've traced all the leads throughout the Flying-Spaghetti-Monster style snakebasket under my dash, and everything seems to be attached and intact. All fuses are good, I have switched them out with brand new, and switched those with fuses that do work in other sockets

So. What's the over-mind think about that? Did the switch just pop? Blower motor, which always worked flawlessly and without any squealing... :confused:

Ideas?

Does the fan work at all? if you turn it all the way up does it still not come on? I've read other posts on here about how the resistor coils can go bad (basically disintegrate). But i think you usually still get full power with the fan when thats the problem.

hopefully someone with more experience will chime in here.

also nice car!! I have the the same one :) 84 GL wagon, blue.

Yeah, I've had several resistors go out on different cars, though never a subaru. It's an easy diagnosis - the fan will not work except on full blast - and a pretty easy fix, since new resistors are usually pretty cheap. If it doesn't work at all, even on full blast, then you're looking at something else, like wiring or the blower itself. When was it last working?

Nope, the fan does not turn at any speed on the dial, and it worked until 15 minutes or so before I began taking the ignition switch apart; this is why I feared that the two things were somehow connected (that I'd knocked a wire loose, yoinking on the steering column).

I've run down all of the connexions and wires from the switch to the fan, I suppose I need to get jumpers now and see if the fan spins with direct power. They sure didn't make it easy to get to, did they?