Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air FIlter

Hi All,

So I called around for a new air filter for my 88 gl wagon FI (EA82) today and to my horror, I can't seem to find one.

I've tried my local part stores and even my subaru dealer. Special order and at least 4 weeks to arrive????? I'm told that it's because of the Earthquake/Tsunami. ouch!

So my question is, does anyone have cross reference numbers for the filters? I tried the Fram CA4303 according to my local part stores. Didn't fit!

I'm thinking if it's a hassle to get these anymore, I'd just spring for a K&N or AFE filter so I'd never have to go through this again.

I used to buy the Canadian Tire filter option PN#23-3102-6 and it fit great. There was a soft rubber border that sealed up well and I was able to close the air box.

So what have you all been using these days for filters in your EA82's?

Not saying this will fix the problem, but SOME auto parts stores seem to get models mixed up in certain years (I forget if the STD was still available in 1988) but if other engine types were available it may be THAT filter thats not available. Try looking for a filter for a 92 Loyale or something.

Of course then they may get it confused with a legacy :rolleyes:

well I lucked out and found a filter that fits properly without splurging for the K&N.

I talked to a smaller store here and they hooked me up with a Viper 42136. never even heard of them before but it fits like a glove. Also, I notice that it is the same number as the Wix application so I'm guessing that the wix option should work if it can be found.

I asked the gal if it's a regular stock option and she told me that they keep one in stock normally. I'll go back in a week or so and get another and I should be good for another 50k if the car lasts that long.

I was pretty freaked out when the dealer told me they didn't stock them anymore. Getting worried that I would have to get creative.

Great price. $9 I think it was with tax.

I'm sure the filter will more than pay for itself in a couple weeks.

My commute is near 800 km/week. I'm hoping to get it down to one tank/week.

I did have this car running 800km/tank a few years ago but she's gettin tired.

:banana:

Never use the ethanol.

Mid or high test gas in the summer. Keeps it from pinging.

Some fancy crankcase gas plumbing. There are some threads on here About pcv re-burn setups. I used a peanut butter jar.

And some grandpa like driving.

I've been doing 700/tank lately with a really dirty air filter but I'll get it up to 800 again.

Interesting. Regarding the 'PCV re-burn' - I have been searching around here and even the internet and the closest thing I can come up with is the 'catch can' set up that catches excessive blow-by. Do you know if there is another name for what you mean? I would love to give it a shot, but if it's just a catch can then I don't think I will get much out of it because this block has virtually zero blowby and has great compression all the way around.

Thanks a bunch,

Dean