Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the ticking never ends, does it?

i have replaced:

the oil pressure relief vavle springs in the cam carriers

new lifters on the side thats clicking (just the right side is clicking)

got the correct O-rings for the cam carriers

added a little bit of Lucas Oil thinking it might help.

why is the blasted thing still ticking. any ideas?

oh, it's been about 1100 miles since finishing the full rebuild, about 120 miles on the new lifters. replaced the oild about 800 miles ago. 10W-40 Valvoline Premium Conventional.

oh again. its my 1988 Subaru GL-10 Turbo EA82.

What about the oil pump seals? Shaft seal, O-ring and 'mickey mouse' shaped gasket/seal?

Did you do those when you did the rebuild?

yeah, i replaced those. i dont know if the oil pressure is enough. it runs about 38 to 40 psi when fully warmed up. thats with a aftermarket guage hooked up to it.

hi,

i have had a few do this, and it was found that debris in the cam carrier restrictor orifice was the problem. the cam case has a oil restrictor pressed into the supply hole, it is a brass plug with a small hole, but the bigger passage between the cam and the restrictor is a natural trap for stuff, old solicone is especially prone to catch , anything that can squish through a 1/4 in oil supply hole under 50-70 psi , but not through a pin hole can trap in there. it requires to take the cam case back off and slip the cam out , you have to blow out the passage through the restrictor from the head side, toward the cam bore. i bet you have some crud in there blocking the orifice.

Edited by ruparts

best sequence in my opinion and experience:

1 reseal the oil pump. it's easy and when mated with a timing belt job is hardly any work.

2 replace the oil pump with a new one. this has cured every ticking EA82/ER27 i've come across (with one exception below). you can skip step one if you don't mind the expense to begin with.

3 replace faulty HLA's. i've come across seized HLA's that wouldn't even compress in a vice. this was obvious because they were both associated with a particular cylinder on an XT6, the others on the same side were quiet so it obviously wasn't oil supply related.

and of course gunk caught in the lines wouldn't be any good. i've seen a glob of RTV get stuck at the oil port in the bottom corner of the cam carrier where that metal reinforced oring goes.

hi,

i have had a few do this, and it was found that debris in the cam carrier restrictor orifice was the problem. the cam case has a oil restrictor pressed into the supply hole, it is a brass plug with a small hole, but the bigger passage between the cam and the restrictor is a natural trap for stuff, old solicone is especially prone to catch , anything that can squish through a 1/4 in oil supply hole under 50-70 psi , but not through a pin hole can trap in there. it requires to take the cam case back off and slip the cam out , you have to blow out the passage through the restrictor from the head side, toward the cam bore. i bet you have some crud in there blocking the orifice.

thanks for the tip. im definitely gonna have to try this operation.