Ultimate Subaru Message Board

noise while accelerating?

89 xt makes a noise similar to tapping while it is accelerating. it doesnt sound like the typical lifter tap as it is quiet while the car is at idle and only presents itself under load. you can hear it persistently with the gas applied but when you press the clutch to shift it goes away until you apply more gas

89 xt makes a noise similar to tapping while it is accelerating. it doesnt sound like the typical lifter tap as it is quiet while the car is at idle and only presents itself under load. you can hear it persistently with the gas applied but when you press the clutch to shift it goes away until you apply more gas

Could be pre detination of the fuel. check your timing or run a tank of super thrue it.

we had the tank of premium in it so that wasnt it. i believe its an exhaust leak since its definitely loudest under the car. going to get a hose and listen to the area around where the exhaust seats against the heads and ill report back with my findings. thanks for the replies

with the car cold you can start it and pass your hands around the exhaust headers and the flanges in the exhaust, each of which has a gasket. you'll feel the air puffing out usually. do it quick, it heats up fast!

if it's the exhaust manifold gaskets, the subaru ones are much beefier than a lot of the aftermarket ones.

I have almost the exact same sound, though I think mine is drivetrain related. Does it change when you turn to one side or the other? I think mine may have to do with the axle shafts.
i would start another thread for your issues. my guess is yours is different than his, it gets confusing tracing two different issues in one thread.

I have almost the exact same sound, though I think mine is drivetrain related. Does it change when you turn to one side or the other? I think mine may have to do with the axle shafts.
i would start another thread for your issues. my guess is yours is different than his, it gets confusing tracing two different issues in one thread.

I wasn't trying to hi-jack his thread with answers to my problems, simply asking if he's really sure it's not drivetrain related. If we're all trying to diagnose an engine problem when it's a drivetrain problem nothing would get accomplished.

no sweat, just thought you needed help with yours. in general these issues vary wildly and don't all exhibit the same symptoms, particularly true of axles...very true of aftermarket axles, they fail or have symptoms in all sorts of varying ways. so i wouldn't expect one experience to inform the masses in those case.

I wasn't trying to hi-jack his thread with answers to my problems, simply asking if he's really sure it's not drivetrain related. If we're all trying to diagnose an engine problem when it's a drivetrain problem nothing would get accomplished.

copy that, that's why i had already asked:

sounds definitely engine relaced? (and not drivetrain, trans, axle?)