Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear bearing, 92 loyale...just swap knuckles?

I had a 92 legacy with a bad bearing, and instead of replacing I got a good knuckle from the j yard and just swapped em out. Worked great.

Can I do this on my 92 loyale? Would that be almost as much work as doing the bearing? Anyone done this?

You have a whole trailing arm there instead of a knuckle. Yes, you can do this. Otherwise, you need the right pin socket to service it yourself.

Swapping the trailing arm is easier, proviided you have fleets of spare parts available to change out, as the net one swapped in could fail unexpectedly.

But, if you do it this way, you can snag a trailing arm with disc brakes and swaybar, get the pair, and bolt them in as an upgrade for the same cost/work

I had a 92 legacy with a bad bearing, and instead of replacing I got a good knuckle from the j yard and just swapped em out. Worked great.

Can I do this on my 92 loyale? Would that be almost as much work as doing the bearing? Anyone done this?

IMO,installing a new bearing is both better and easier.

Punch works to loosen/tighten the bearing retainer.You don`t need a special socket.

IMO,installing a new bearing is both better and easier.

Punch works to loosen/tighten the bearing retainer.You don`t need a special socket.

If it's rusty you will want to tool, as the punch will just damage the retainer ring if it does not come off in the first few attempts. But, if you swap in a better piece, you can service that one if the donor part is less rusty.

I found the pin socket for 30 bucks online. Give or take the investment of 30 bucks, but its worth it if you use it often enough. But swapping in a control arm may just be cheaper than the tool plus new bearings and seals.

do what comes most available to you