Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to get a Weber?

I beleive my 85' GL wagon has an EA82 but I have been mistaken before. Up here in Alaska the only walk in after market parts stores we have is Napa, Car Quest, and Schucks/O'Riellys.

Who should I go to or should I just order it online and which one do I need?

k731?

32/36 DGEV, the EV is electric choke, you could get water choke or manual, but electric is what most people go for.

Redline sells the kit with an adapter plate, so if you go new that's where I'd go, and where I went with mine.

I'm running a DFAV off a 71-73 ford pinto(which napa, carquest can get for $150)and it works great. I heard multiple stories of bad adapter plates coming from Redline, so I made my own, which also allowed me to port the intake out to help move air. Don't expect ANY help from Redline, they're dicks. I used a DGEV electric choke to convert it to electric from water and I also removed the choke pull off to simplify the carb. The DF series also has the choke on the back side when installed, so it doesn't hit your power steering pump for a cleaner install.

I did have to re-jet it though, and put in a new emulsion tube, all of which takes 5 mins to do.

Edited by El Presidente

So I found the stamp and I do indeed have an EA82. So the Weber K731 kit should work but now comes the other part of my question do I need to just eat the shipping costs and have shipped up here to AK or can I go into an auto parts store and order/buy the kit from them?

My bad as I just noticed this site doesnt list Subaru's :(

Ive heard of people spending 4 to 5 hundred bucks on kits, and I didnt see pricing on the redline site. Id shop carefully, on webercarbsdirect you can buy new dgev and dgv carbs for 199.00, a new air filter assy is 21.00. The missing link is the adapter and linkage.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna wait a bit cause #1 I don't have the cash and #2 I Might be buying an 87' wagon that has less rust than my 85' wagon

I was low on cash when I did mine too(ok, well, I'm still low on cash..). Pulled my DFAV off a ford courier(but it was originally off a pinto) from pull a part for $30 and spent about $100 rebuilding it and gathering materials for the adapter plate. I used some 1 1/2"x1/4" flat bar for a braket to hold the stock throttle cable and spent another $20 for a universal cable to ballstud adapter to make the linkage work.

So for $150 and a few days work, I got a great running carb and everything to make it work. One thing to remember is that DF's aren't made by weber, they're made holley for Ford, so tolerances are a little bigger, but it makes them less finicky IMO. I have previous experience working on DF's and I should warn you that some of them have "personally"....

For example, mine came with a #90 primary idle jet, which is for a 2.3L ford, but when I was tuning it for my EA82, it ran better with no primary idle jet. Its happy like that, has great power, runs smooth and better MPG's than the hicrappy it came with..like I said, some DF's have "personality". DF's can also run fine anywhere between 2psi to 9psi, unlike the webers 2-3 psi range.

Alot of them you find in the JY are banged up on top of the fuel bowl near the inlet and thats normal, because when the needle sticks from crap in the fuel, a quick tap right there will free it up.