Ultimate Subaru Message Board

next project on my 97 GT wagon

Now that I have my annual state inspection covered, my next project is the AC system. It had no pressure reading on my gages, checked the o-rings on the compressor lines, damaged/shot. Going to order o-ring kit , new dryer canister, fittings etc.

Really would like to have a copy of procedure to follow, and pressures after charging. Cannot seem to find the Ac info in the manuals I have downloaded. Also I know to pull a vaccum before adding freon, but how do you add the oil into the system and where?

thanks

Greg

frankly if you're not replacing any/many parts it's not a big deal. there's a lot of oil in the systems if you've ever opened one up. doesn't matter where you put it in really, it quickly spreads through the system. push the valves open by hand when it's charged and see how much oil comes out to verify the previous sentences - you will get wet!:lol:

replacing orings is all you'll need to do to get it to work just fine. subaru a/c systems don't have a lot of issues. most 80's cars are still running with original parts, compressors being the obvious wear item.

the sticker under the hood will tell you how many ounces of freon to use, don't know pressures off top of my head.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I replaced o-rings and dryer. Got the o ring kit at A-Zone also the dryer. The o-rings seemed a little "loose" on the hose ends at the compressor. Dryer seemed OK. Hooked up the gages, and vaccum pump. It pulled a good vaccum, I let it run 1/2 hour, but when I dead headed it the vaccum went away. Do our systems use standard o-rings? I hate to put any freon in the system knowing there may be a leak. Any ideas of what next?

thanks

Greg

i've never installed loose orings, i'd find a better fit for those.

i just buy a big assortment and match the orings to fit. i've done all flavors of subaru's from 80's-200's and never had a problem finding orings to fit.

they more often seem tight than loose, so i'd focus on that area first not knowing anything else.

i've installed orings that were not exactly the same as the originals...but thing is the originals are usually aged and not the same shape as they originally were anyway, so even an old oring isn't a perfect comparison. try and gauge the fit around the fitting and how it's sliding into the receiving fitting as well. pay attention to the thickness too - some seem the same size but are different thicknesses. i'd shoot for slightly larger oring - so long as it doesn't "roll" due to being too big as it's being installed.

it's usually the compressor side orings that are bad, but have you replaced all the easy ones you can get too?

i've *heard* compressors can bleed off internally too, but don't know any more about that.